This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted

Creating VI Snippets in LabVIEW 2009

VI Snippets

Have you ever been frustrated with someone sending you a screenshot of their code instead of the actual VI? Well, with VI Snippets, the screenshot IS the code. A VI snippet will create a PNG that is embedded with some meta-data that is unique to the VI. This meta-data will actual store the information from the block diagram. Once you have this PNG, you can drag it to any block diagram you want to instantly replicate the code that the snippet was created from.

Steps to Complete

Highlight some code on your block diagram. Then go to Edit»Create VI Snippet from Selection. This will prompt you to save your PNG, so go ahead and save it. Now you can drag this PNG to any block diagram, and the code will instantly pop off for you!

You can also watch the Youtube video posted on my blog to see how a snippet can be used, or try it yourself with the attached snippet below!

VISnippet.bmp

Additional Notes

If you open and edit the snippet in any image editor, you will lose the meta-data crucial to keeping the code.

Message 1 of 5
(10,035 Views)
4 REPLIES

Re: Creating VI Snippets in LabVIEW 2009

Nice post, it would have been nice to use an actual snippet instead of an image of a snippet. I was showing someone how great they were and I couldn't drag the image in this post to my code

If someone else is trying to do the same, you can find some snippet examples here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/9330

Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor
Message 2 of 5
(1,733 Views)

Second  that,  I  tried  that  and  it didn´t  work .  Edit -  Create VI Snippet from Selection. Thanks for the link FabiolaDelaCueva

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,733 Views)

Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,733 Views)

Very usefull!!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,733 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.