From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Distributed Control & Automation Framework (DCAF)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem building a cRIO application for deployment after package update

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I am having trouble building a DCAF program that can be deployed on a cRIO and autostart when turned on.

Some background first, I've started trying and implementing the DCAF framework on some CompactRIOs after seeing some features I liked, such as reusable static modules. I installed the DCAF Core package and some additional modules a few months ago, around August 2018. I've made a working program that can run fine on the CompactRIO when started on my development computer. However, building and deploying the code to autostart on the cRIO was a challenge. I tried building an application (.rtexe) first that can be set to autostart, but it didn't work. I then tried building a Source Distribution and edited to lvrt.conf file to autostart the main startup vi, "cRIO Main.vi", and that worked.

A few days ago I installed some updates for a few DCAF packages in the VI package manager. The program still worked when running from my development computer, but when I build and deploy a Source Distribution, the program won't startup anymore. I can't monitor the VIs on the VI server, and I can't connect to the cRIO on my Project Window unless I edit out the autostart line from the lvrt.conf file. The cRIO CPU also acts funny, alternating between 100% to 0%. on both cores.

Luckily I have an older Source Distribution that I can deploy to make the program work. When comparing the old vs new source distribution, I noticed the new one had more files and folders, mostly regrading the PL Framework Configuration tool.

I have no issues when building an executable for the DCAF UI, which runs on a separate Windows computer and communicates with the cRIO via Ethernet. It worked before and after the DCAF update.

The packages I updated are:
DCAF PID Module
DCAF Project Templates
DCAF Scan Engine Module
DCAF Tag Editor
DCAF UI Reference Module

Should I revert to a previous version of the packages to fix my problem? Does anyone else have an issue when building and deploying a DCAF application/source distribution to their cRIO?

Linus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,493 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ilnus

If you haven't found the root cause yet, you might want to try reverting the Scan Engine package to a version older than 2.2.0.26. We recently found an issue where using this version would cause errors when trying to compile for Linux RT. The issue is being tracked below and sounds similar to what you are seeing.

https://github.com/LabVIEW-DCAF/Scan-Engine-Module/issues/60

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 2 of 3
(3,448 Views)

Thanks! That did the trick.

Linus

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,352 Views)