Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running exe's on non labview machine

Having a problem communicating with a Keithley 2010 DMM on a non labview machine. The exe works fine on a machine with labview installed. On the non labview machine the exe does communicate with a fluke 5500 calibrator and an agilent e3649a power supply. The problem seems to only affect the keithley dmm. Any help would be appreciated.
thank you
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,506 Views)
Hi,
I have some questions for you to help troubleshoot this issue. What problems are you seeing? What errors do you see?

How are you communicating with these three instruments (GPIB or serial)? Are you using NI-488.2, NI-VISA, etc? What version of LabVIEW are you using? On the non-LabVIEW system, I assume you're using the same LabVIEW run-time engine version as you built the executable. Is that correct?

Can you communicate with these instruments in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)?

Regards,
Missy S.
Project Engineer
RoviSys
Message 2 of 5
(7,491 Views)

Hi MissyD,

thanks for the response. Buddy, your support engineer for the Tucson area was here for 1.5 hours and we really didn't get too far. There seems to be a communications issue with the Agilent PCI-GPIB board or a software conflict. The RTE is the same on both, labview version 8.0. everything seems okay. I can not communicate using MAX, but I can communicate using the Agilent software that came with the GPIB board. I have uninstalled the Agilent software and I'm in the process of removing the Agilent board and replacing it with the NI board. Hopefully it works. Do you have any ideas on your end as to an appropriate solution path?

Thanks again,

Otto

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,491 Views)
Hi Otto,

I would also install NI-VISA (if you haven't already) and possibly repair the installation of NI-488.2. These two links are to the download page for the current versions of NI-VISA and NI-488.2, respectively. Here is a link to installing NI and Agilent boards in the same system in case you need it. Please let me know if you run into any problems with this!

Regards,
Missy S.
Project Engineer
RoviSys
Message 4 of 5
(7,475 Views)

Hi MissyD,

I solved the problem but do not understand why. For some reason, the Labview 8.0 and the Agilent 82350B board do not like each other. I have MAX 4.1.0.3001 and NI-VISA 4.0. I did enable the tulips but it wouls still not see the Keithley device. If I remember correctly, the Keithley VI is VISA, the Fluke and Agilent are GPIB. This would explain why two out of three would work. I ended up removing the Agilent software and board from the system and installing the NI PCI-GPIN board. Everything seems okay now but I have some extensive testing to complete before obtaining full confidence in this system. I have contacted Agilent regarding this issue and am waiting a response from them. Do you have any eperiance with a VISA issue and their boards? We are moving forward and I really appreciate your assistance.

Thank you,

Otto

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,473 Views)