From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chebyechev coversion of resistance value of Cernox resistor into temperature

Sir,

I am in a trouble in coverting the data collected through Lab Veiw (6) VI.

I am using Cernox (1030 - Lakeshore, USA) temperature sensor for monitoring the temperature in my experiment. Using the variation in the cernox resistance to the temperature, i can able to find the exact temperature.

The convertion of the reistsnce to temperature will be calculated by a chebychev polynomial fit of the cernox resistance.

Right now i am doing this in a c programme. I want to do it in the LabVeiw itself.

Since i am new to the Labview i am struck up with this task. I am in an urgent to clear this task.

Pl. help me in giving me a VI that can convert the resistance into Temperatrue.

I am herewith  attaching the data for conversion  as apdf file .

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(9,165 Views)
Hi Manivannan,

Actually there is a Chebyshev Polynomial VI in LabVIEW 8.20 that I saw.  Unfortunately, it is not in the Base Package.  Therefore, you need to have the Full or Professional version of LabVIEW.

I looked at LabVIEW 6.0 and there is the Chebyshev Approximation VI that I think would do the job for you.  It is located at Functions->Mathematics->Optimization

Look at the Help file and that should tell you how to use it.

Thanks,

Vincent Carpentier, Ing./Eng.
CLA, CPI
Neosoft Technologies
www.neosoft.ca
DQMH Trusted Advisor
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(9,160 Views)

Hello,

I'm working with the same type of sensors (lakeshore Cernox). I want to calibrate a sensor by myself. To do this, I want to measure the resistance of an uncalibrated sensor, and in a same time the temperature from a calibrated sensor. So I will have an 2D array, consisting of Temperatures and Resistances. Then, I want to calculate Chebychev coefficients (like A0, A1...), similar to the .pdf you joined.
But I didn't find any function to calculate Chebychev coefficients from experimental values. So,

Do you know how determine Chebychev coefficients from experimental values ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,251 Views)

Hi, Julien- You are responding to a thread that is several years old!

Although I am not familiar with the temperature sensors you are using or the model to calculate temperature from the resistance, I do have a couple suggestions for you to convert resistance to temperature.

First, There are shipping examples for RTD and thermistor resistance to temperature conversion that use a parabolic model. Each has a pull-down of standard device types (and the VI uses a lookup of the polynomial coefficients) and also has a "custom" option, which allows you to enter the three coefficients for a parabolic model.

Second, as it appears that your calibration report provides you with fifth-order coefficients, you can use a formula node to convert a resistance to a temperature based on whatever calculation you would like. You can even work it out to use 2D arrays or arrays of clusters or similar to store the specific coefficients that a calibration service provides you for each sensor you use.

It sounds like you want to use one supplier-calibrated sensor to be a standard for you to calibrate additional units. Assuming you have sufficient data for each device along an appropriate temperature range, you can calculate the model coefficients mathematically. I suggest you familiarize yourself with your sensors and with the examples that ship with LabVIEW. A good place to start studying these temperature devices is:  http://www.lakeshore.com/Documents/F010-00-00.pdf.

If you need help with components of a LabVIEW program for your conversion, data collection, or coefficient derivation, you should post specific questions in a new thread and show the forum what you have done and where you need help.

Jeff Zola

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,243 Views)