Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the "Max Test Voltage" field correspond to in the PXI-407_ Datasheets?

What does the "Max Test Voltage" field correspond to in the PXI-407_ Datasheets? 

Open-circuit source voltage at the various resistance measurement scales is much, much higher.  (i.e. Spec say 100 mv in the 100 ohm range vs. I  measured 12V in the 100 ohm range!)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,648 Views)

The "Max Test Voltage" refer to the loaded maximum voltage that the DMM will produce. The DMM has a current source that is outputting the rated current for each range setting. For example the 100 Ohm range setting is 1 mA. The "Max Test Voltage" specification is only true if the resistance over the terminals is less than or equal to 100 ohm. If the voltage is measured unloaded, the DMM output voltage will not correspond to the table. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks!

Steven K.
National Instruments
Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,636 Views)

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the response.  Don't you agree that if there is a caveat to a value in your spec, in should be duely noted ("only true if the resistance over the terminals is less than or equal to 100 ohm")?  I could load the 100 ohm scale with high impedance and output 12000% more than the so claimed maximum test voltage.  This is absolutely outrageous from an accredited company such as NI.  It should either be removed from the Spec, or the true Maximum Test Voltages should be listed.  This is the difference between working hardware and fried parts.

Josh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,633 Views)