Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PXI-4070, 'device's Serial Port would not reset' is a recurring error ...

We've taken this troubleshooting issue offline. I will post the resolution when we've concluded what's happening.
Message Edited by Mark E on 04-23-2009 02:46 PM
Mark E.
Precision DC Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(4,916 Views)

Hi there!

I emailed you last week at the address given to me by the folks with access to your profile. Did you receive it? I included a picture that indicates where the F1 fuse is. If you place the DMM with the front connector facing to the left, the F1 fuse is going to be on the longer PCB near the bottom right, which is close to the PXI chassis connector. Test the resistance across this fuse and please let us know the results.

Thanks!

Message Edited by Mark E on 04-30-2009 09:07 AM
Mark E.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(4,888 Views)
The customer has contacted NI for repair of his DMM, as that seems to be the likely cause of this error.
Mark E.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(4,865 Views)

We are having a very similar problem.

The issue is intermittent and so far we can't figure out what is causing it. The problem presents itself in the form of an error message in TestStand during a test step to configure the DMM. Restarting the PC and PXI chassis seems to temporarily fix it and we can have many full test runs without the error.

Error Message:  An exception occurred calling 'RunStep' in 'ISubstep' of 'zNI TestStand Ivi Step Types'
An error occurred while executing the step.
Component Works IVI Control Error: The IVI Init operation failed for logical name 'DMM'.
Details: Session Manager: niDMM_InitWithOptions returned an error: -1074117754 (0xbffa4386). Unknown status code
Source: TSIviStepTypes [Error Code: -31619]

When doing a self-test, we get this pop-up error:

The device self test has failed. The error report from the device driver is as follows:

Error -233902 occurred at Self Test

Possible Reason(s):
Internal Hardware Error occurred in DMM hardware. Please contact National Instruments Support.

Device: DMM

Any advice?

Our hardware/software setup is as follows:

Hardware:

PXI-1042 chassis

PXI-4070

PXI-8360

PXI-6602

PXI-4130

PXI-2568

TB-2631

Software:

Windows 7 32bit

NI-DMM 2.9

NI-VISA 4.5.1

MAX 4.6

IVI 3.3

Labview 8.6.1

TestStand 4.2

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(3,925 Views)

First try updating the driver on the DMM. Sometimes they fix random things and it may address this issue as well. If that does not work, reproduce the problem and then go to the DMM Soft Front Panel instead of MAX. MAX errors are often vague, and the Soft Front Panel (DMM version of Test Panel) can provide more informative error codes. Let us know what results you find.

- Regards,

Beutlich
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(3,905 Views)

Yes, we'vd repair this DMM and it works properly now. Thanks for your advice.

Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(3,899 Views)

Hi Alaini,

Can you provide me with the slot numbers for each module in your system?  If you haven't tried already sometimes swapping slots can produce a different behavior and give us insight into the problem a little more.  I found a verry similar problem with a similar error here, where the customer was able to avoid the error by swapping the DMM card to another slot.  Also, if you can provide me with the serial number of your 4070, I can look up the rev level and see if there are any known related issues to the 233902 error.  When you get a chance let me know what you find.

Thanks Alaini!

Brandon G 

National Instruments
Precision DC Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(3,887 Views)

Brandon,

The slot numbers were

1: 8360

2: 6602

3: 4070

4: 2631

5: 2568

6: 4130

After reading your post I went ahead and swapped slots 3 and 4 so that now the 4070 is in slot 4.

The serial number of the 4070 is 0xED9FA6

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(3,865 Views)

Hi Alaini,

Thanks for sending me your slot arragnement and serial number.  Just to clarify, did you have any luck once swapping slots of the 4070?  Also, sometimes this type of communication error can be caused

by a blown fuse on the board and it would be an easy thing to check.  Can you perform a continuity check on fuse F1, which can be seen in the attached photo?  We may have to consider RMAing the board if we are unable to diagnose the problem online.  If necessary, do I have your permission to contact you via email, to arrange for an RMA?  

I also wanted to ask you how frequently you are seeing this error occur?  You said you "have many full test runs without the error" but can you tell us about how much time passes before this error occurs? 

Please let me know what you find so we know how to proceed.

Thanks Alaini and have a good day!

Brandon G

National Instruments
Precision DC Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(3,847 Views)

Brandon,

Thanks for your reply.

We still experienced the issue a few times (at least 2) since swapping the slots of the 4070. I could check continuity on the fuse, however I do not see an attached photo. Could a fuse be blown while the device works most of the time?

You can contact me via email if you wish. We can't determine a pattern or cause to the failure, and so I can't really give an accurate description of how much time passes or how many runs are performed between the failure. So far it appears to be random, and our system is powered on at all times.

I forgot to mention it previously but we had a power outage a month or two before the problem presented itself and the system was not on a UPS at that time (it is now). Perhaps this could have caused damage to the hardware?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(3,841 Views)