Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature measurement

Hello, I have:

- Basic Multifunction DAQ NI pci-6013
- VI Logger version 1.0.1
- Windows 2000
- Type-K thermocouples.

I am trying to measure water temperature and I want measured data to be displayed on computer.

Is this possible to achive using ONLY this software or I need an extra instrument that is going to messure temperature for me (eg. thermometer)?

How to connect thermocouples (or thermometer if needed) to the DAQ?

Thank you!
Regards Slav.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(7,026 Views)
Hello onga,

The only software that you would need in addition to what you have listed is NI-DAQ, which should have shipped with your PCI 6013 card. This software and hardware will provide a voltage reading. In order to obtain temperature, you can create scaling factors for the signal.

With regards to installation procedure, first install NI-DAQ. Then install VI Logger. Next insert the device into an available PCI slot.

There are a couple of ways to connect your thermocouple to your DAQ card. One way would be to connect directly to an analog input. You can do this by using wire to connect your thermocouple to pins 68 and 67 on the 68-pin connector on the back of the card. Information about locating these pins can be found on page 4-2 (overall page
28) of the user manual for the PCI 6013, found here:

DAQ NI 6013/6014 User Manual
http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370636a.pdf

You could also connect the thermocouple to an accessory for the 6013. These would be separate items that you could purchase from NI. The first is a SH6868 shielded cable and the second is an SCB-68 terminal block that is connected to the DAQ card by the SH6868 cable. You can use the cable alone, following the same pinout as the 6013 card, or the cable plus the terminal block, using the labeled terminals. Information about the terminal block can be found at:

SCB-68 Terminal Block
http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/320745b.pdf

Once you have connected the thermocouple to a given channel, you can then create the scaling factor to transform the voltage into temprature and use VI Logger to view its output. More information on this process can be found at:

Getting Started with VI Logger
http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/322821a.pdf

Let me know if you ha
ve any further questions about this issue.

Scott Romine,
National Instruments
Scott Romine
Course Development Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 3
(7,025 Views)
Excellent! Thank you Scott R. for so broad answer, it pretty much solved my problems.

Only extra question is:
- when connecting Type-K thermocouple [it's made of positive wire(green) and negative wire(white)], at which pin do I connect each? My first thought was positive wire to pin 68(ACH0) and negative to pin 67(AIGND), but I just want to make sure, because I don't want to damage the board.

And also, what is the maximum thermocouples that can be connected to the board?

Thanks once again.
Regards Slav.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(7,027 Views)