From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 4060 "unknown device" but correct drivers loaded - probably broken card?

Solved!
Go to solution

This is probably more general than just DMMs, but - I have the correct driver loaded for my PXI 4060 DMM.  Windows gives the yellow unknown device warning, but shows the PCI ID info (VEN_1093, etc.) and NI-DMM can't find it.  I have tried NI-DMM 3.0.4 and NI-DMM 14.  I have a PXI 4065 which works correctly.  So this is a card problem, not  a driver problem.  The questions are: 1) will a dead card still respond to the PCI ID request function and show the vendor and device ID?  2) is there any other diagnosing I can do to figure out if the card is salvageable?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,490 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author yafoteer

yafoteer,

What OS version and bitness are you using? The PXI-4060 is end-of-life and is not supported on Windows Vista or newer Windows OSes. The device OS support list for NI-DMM 14.0 may be found in the readme.

Did your PXI-4060 ever work? The yellow unknown device warning generally indicates a driver installation issue. While it is unusual for DMMs to break, it does happen, but let's rule out an unsupported OS first.

Tobias
Principal Software Engineer
Driver Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,481 Views)

Call me Captain Obvious.  Well, I searched around but never found the end-of-life and OS issue.  I dug out the XP-driven legacy system and installed the card - perfect.  But it's broken in the new Win 7 system.  So even though the drivers are there, the OS is the problem.  Time for another upgrade.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,470 Views)