Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NiMax not detecting PXIe-4139

Solved!
Go to solution

We commit to preserving NI-DCPower's binary compatibility. An existing application built against an old version of NI-DCPower will work with an updated NI-DCPower.

This is of course assuming the platform is still supported. For example, we dropped support for 32-bit OSes (not applications) some time ago. We no longer support Windows 7. Etc.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(1,122 Views)

@kirsch wrote:

We commit to preserving NI-DCPower's binary compatibility. An existing application built against an old version of NI-DCPower will work with an updated NI-DCPower.

That is great, not all developers do that.  What I was looking at was the LabView version compatibility charts.
Could you explain more about what those charts are indicating?

Ex:  https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/compatibility/17/ni-dcpower-and-labview-compatibility...

Since an old version of LabView is just an application the same as mine and thus should work with the newer drivers?
Are the chart just an indication of what versions you have done formal validation against?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,119 Views)

Could you explain more about what those charts are indicating?

LabVIEW VIs store source and object code in the same binary by default. You can open a LabVIEW N VI in LabVIEW N+1, but it will show a "dirty" dot because the VI gets re-compiled for the new version of LabVIEW and the object code is modified. For that reason, our drivers ship with 4 copies of the VIs for 4 versions of LabVIEW that are already compiled for each specific version of LabVIEW.

One thing you cannot do is open a VI saved in LabVIEW N+1 in LabVIEW N without going through the manual step of saving for previous.

Not that what I describe above is the current state of affairs and something that will be changing in the near future.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,117 Views)

Excellent explanation.  Thanks so much.  This helps A LOT.  I have been nervous for some time about our test application and the risk of instruments going obsolete and how we can add new instruments and still maintain backward compatibility with older testers.  Your description helps out a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(1,110 Views)

@kirsch wrote:

0x7A78 is the subsystem ID for the PXIe-4139 (40W), a newer higher-powered version of the PXIe-4139. I am afraid your driver may be too old for it (assuming the board is OK of course).

From the NI-DCPower 20.5 readme

• Added support for the PXIe-4139 (40W) source measure unit.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(1,095 Views)