Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meterman DMM

Has anyone written a VI for the Meterman 38XR DMM (it interfaces via RS232) ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(13,381 Views)
Hey Dave,

Sorry, I've no experience with this hardware. Searching the NI Dev zone and Google gave me no hits. I would definitely recommend making a request for this driver as enough interest could cause this to be developed.

How much work would be involved in developing your own? Do you know any of the commands? If so, use some of the Serial functions in LV to send some basic commands to the device and take it from there.

Sorry I can't help you further!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(13,369 Views)
Thanks for the reply.

I have a table that details the codes output by the meter so I can implement the basic functionality I need. It would have been useful if someone had done this already. I'll post it when I've got something useful.

The Meterman (apparently the new name for Wavetek who were bought by Fluke) 38XR is a great little meter. It has so many features for such a small price. It even has an opto-isolated RS232 cable which is ideal for my application. I'd recommend it any day!

Dave
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(13,366 Views)

@daveb1 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I have a table that details the codes output by the meter so I can implement the basic functionality I need. It would have been useful if someone had done this already. I'll post it when I've got something useful.

The Meterman (apparently the new name for Wavetek who were bought by Fluke) 38XR is a great little meter. It has so many features for such a small price. It even has an opto-isolated RS232 cable which is ideal for my application. I'd recommend it any day!

Dave

HI Dave,
I've just received a Meterman 38XR.
Do you have some VI already done for this instrument?
I'm starting now with Labview and I'd like to have an idea regarding writing an instrument driver for this meter.
Thanks!!
Maurizio
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(13,178 Views)
Hi there,

Where did you get that table? I'm trying to write my own logging software and I need the codes return by the device.

Would it be possible to post the table here?

Thanks,
-Patrice
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(13,081 Views)
Here is the 38XR serial output code tables.
I can't post the VIs I've done as they're commercial property. Let me know if you have any questions on the tables.

Dave
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(13,075 Views)
I have just finished writing a vi for 38xr DMM.
Enjoy.
Sam Hakosem
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(12,743 Views)
I wrote a slightly more detailed version.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(12,175 Views)

I've modified the version posted by anthomas for LV 2013, fixing a few issues I found.

Also - it's now sold under the make Amprobe, model 38XR-A.

Nice meter for the price.  I wish it's transfer rate was faster, but it's not refreshing the data very fast so 9600 bps is more than sufficient.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,369 Views)