From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring mOhm resistances with a SMU (e.g. PXIe-4139, PXIe-4141)

One more thing is that the offsets might differ between ranges, the offset in the 100mA range might be different from that of the 10mA range and hence it may not entirely cancel out.

You would have to use opposing currents for the delta method to cancel out these offsets as described in this article.

santo_13_0-1652314449060.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(888 Views)

BTW, is there a reason you are using an SMU to measure a resistance?
I have done it before but most of our testers also have DMMs so unless I am doing something super specific (like having to use a pulse or having to do a high current measurement), I generally use the DMM.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(875 Views)

Yes, it is both pulse and high current. 

I found that the high lead resistance is the culprit for the inaccuracies. Without those, the 4141 and the 4139 work well. With the high lead wire resistance (4 Ohm), only the 4139 works well.

Thank you all for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(866 Views)