Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX error -88705 - device not active

Hi,

I'm in trouble with my T&A system. After last weekend both my PXI-4070 DMMs are no longer 'active'. The last action I do remember is updating NI-SwitchExec to the most recent version.

I see both DMMs in MAX as 'PXI1Slot7' and '..8', both in tradDAQ and DAQmx. Both entries show device params like SN#, socket#, IRQ-level and so on. In tradDAQ I can even initiate a ressource test under 'properties', which tells me the device passed.
If I try to initiate a self test under DAQmx, I get error -88705: The specified device is not present or not active in the system. It may not be installed, unplugged or not correctly installed. Device: unknown device.
I even can not delete this device, neither when having it installed in the chass
is nor when having it uninstalled. Even a 'reset NIDAQmx configuration' or a temp renaming of the config3.mxs does not remove 'em.
BTW, the MAX config file config3.mxs is quite large (4.5MB).
Any hints rather than re-installing the whole system?
(Its quite complex: W2k, LV7, TS, IVI, 34 serial ports, GPIB, PXI-1010, 2 DMM4070, a 1129 switch matrix, a 1160 MUX, a 6508 and a 6711. There's a mySQL database running that is accessed from TS3. Took a very long time to get all working properly... )

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe Frenz
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(10,397 Views)
Uwe,
Have you tried a "Repair" of NI-DMM driver from the Add/Remove Programs (ARP) Control Panel program - NI-DMM driver installation operations are accessible through the the National Instruments item in the ARP? If no, you may want to try this. You will be asked to restart the system after the repair operation.

By the way, what is the NI-DMM version on the system?

Regards
Sead Suskic
National Instruments
Regrads,
Sead Suskic
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(10,394 Views)
Sead,

I have repaired a lot of drivers, amoung those where NI-DMM, IVI-toolset, MAX and whatever seemed apropriate. I have used all the versions from my May version develloper suite prof. test edn.
Looks like theres a corrupted data file for MAX IMHO.

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe Frenz
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(10,393 Views)
Uwe,
I understand that you repaired several drivers. Do you recall repairing NI-DAQmx? I realize that this may sound like a "canned" answer, but I really feel that there is something going on with the NI-DAQmx installation. One way to get an idea of what drivers may be failing to load is to look at the System Event Viewer and look for "ni*' services/drivers that failed to load. If there are drivers that failed to load, repairing NI-DAQmx should fix the problem.

What is the NI-DMM version that is on the system?

Reagards,

Sead Suskic
National Instruments
Regrads,
Sead Suskic
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(10,394 Views)
Sead,

again thanx for your answers. We had a holiday here and a long weekend, so I am late with this.

> Do you recall repairing NI-DAQmx?
I recall _not_ having repaired this until now. After it worked again I requested a complete backup of that system at IT (before trying everything else). I'll try a DAQmx repair today.

> ... is to look at the System Event Viewer and look for "ni*' services/drivers that failed to load ...
I looked and found an 'event-ID 7031: service "nidevldu" was unexpectedly cancelled' (free translation from my german W2k's message). So you may be right (of course ;-))

This message started to appear after a failed update of switch_exec due to not enough space for rollback on drive C:\. It reappeared this morni
ng and at the moment I cannot use NI-DMM again as reported initially ;-((

> What is the NI-DMM version that is on the system?
As reported by MAX 3.1.0.3021:
NI-DMM 2.2.1
NI-DMM-FP 2.2.0
NI-DAQmx 7.2.0f0
trad.NI-DAQ 7.2.0f0

So, after repairing DAQmx with a successfull completion of all of its 38 components (according to app events) there has no longer been the sys event message 7031 and the DMM-FP can be operated again.
There is, however, a deactivation in MAX>DAQmx-devices>testpanel. But I can live with this, because the DMM-FP can be started via programs>NI>DMM...

Thanx again and
Greetings from Germany
--
Uwe Frenz
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(10,393 Views)
Just an addendum...
This attempt also lasted just a day (or a reboot) :-(((

Finally i found a service named 'nidevldu' having unexpectedly been stopped on each day. I restarted it and reconfigured it for an auto-restart at least twice on a given session. Had searched on develloper exchange for 'nidevldu'.
At least after having restarted that service the o. m. error was gone... Seems weired to me, but it works and worked for the longest period ( two days now and several reboots) since the first upcoming of that problem.

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe Frenz
Message 6 of 6
(10,392 Views)