Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I programmatically get ALL the devices in MAX and their aliases

I am designing an application where I need to verify before starting that all the hardware is present.  I have a variety of hardware required from DAQ, DIO, GPIB, USB, and DMM in my PXI chassis.  I am able to get all of the information except for the DMM.  In MAX 4.0(LV 7.1) it shows that my 4072(or 4070) is a DAQmx device but when I use the LabVIEW DAQmx property node DAQ System Daq devices it doesn't show the NI-DMM devices installed. 

I need to programmatically determine what DMM device is installed and what it's alias is?  Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Attached is my attempt.

Mike T.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,790 Views)

Hello,

For DAQ, DIO you can get the device names & their corresponding properties using NI-DAQmx. To get device  information of DMM, DIgitizers, Function Generators and HSDIO cards, use NI-ModInst driver. For getting device information of GPIB, use VISA functions.

For information about NI-ModInst refer to this knowledgebases linked below:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/8532AFF2C7E14F5E86256FEA003E202F?OpenDocument

Kalyan

Kalyanramu Vemishetty
Automated Test Systems Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 5
(8,782 Views)

Is this also possible for Switch Executive Virtual Devices? I'd like to programatically (via LabVIEW) obtain a list of channel names against aliases.

Can it be done?

Many thanks.

Message Edited by kdmcmullan on 05-18-2006 07:15 AM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,689 Views)

Hello,

In future, please post this question in switches to get a prompt reply. Currently, there isn't a way to programatically access switch executive virtual devices, channel names and aliases in LabVIEW. However, you can file a product suggestion for this feature using the following link:

http://digital.ni.com/applications/psc.nsf/default?openform

Kalyan

Kalyanramu Vemishetty
Automated Test Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,661 Views)

Hello,

Quick update using switch executive 2.1, you can get aliases and switch executive virtual device list. I am attaching an example code which demonstrates it. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Kalyan

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,653 Views)