Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble interfacing GDM-8351 with Excel

Hello all,

One of my current projects involves using the GDM-8351 Dual Measurement Multimeter through interfacing it with excel. I have followed the instruction manual to install the USB-CDC driver (GDM-8300 series, version 2.0), the actual excel add in (GDM-8300 series), and to install NI-VISA 2017. After having done all that, I end up with an error: "VISA error - time out expired before operation completed".

My laptop is running Windows 10, 64 bit. Also, I followed all the set up instructions for the document for a USB-CDC interface. For your convenience, I've add the link to the instructions document here which also mentions the the steps and drivers more specifically. 

So far, I've tried reinstalling all the drivers, switching the USB-CDC cable with another one, and even completely wiping NI software off of my computer before reinstalling all of it in the correct order again. All of this to no avail.  

I've seen this issue appear several times for those using other devices, but the scenarios seem different enough to open a new thread. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,891 Views)

Hey @7AMIM,

Can you ping the device with a *IDN Command in MAX? Do any of the basic commands from the devices manuals give errors?

Chase
NI Technical Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,854 Views)

Hi Chase. Thanks for the response. Apologies for my delayed response as I didn't have the instrument on hand for a bit of time. 

I tried opening it via MAX and NI-Interactive Control but I get the error: "

ASRL3::INSTR VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system." Oddly, the device is listed in the "unknown" devices section. 

Any ideas what this might entail? I've read this thread: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/VISA-Hex-0xBFFF0011-Insufficient-location-information-or-the/td-p/6...

But I'm not sure if it's fully related. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,840 Views)

Does the device show up in Windows Device Manager properly? It sounds like the driver may not be properly configured for the device.

This looks like the driver for it, are you using this:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=23593

Chase
NI Technical Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,832 Views)