Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 34401A Timeout Error

With the Agilent 34401A Digital Multimeter I am getting the timeout error ( 0xBFFF0015 (-1073807339) )  that others have mentioned, yet none of those solutions have worked for me. The error:

VISA Read in Agilent 34401.lvlib:Control Mode.vi->Agilent 34401.lvlib:Initialize.vi->Agilent 34401 Acquire and Graph - SW Triggered.vi

A history of my troubleshooting:

-Had LabVIEW 7.1 installed. Tried using the "Getting Started.vi" but would get the same error as above. Probing the error signal the error was traced to the first 'Visa Read' command.  This command is directly after 'Visa Write': *OPC?.

- Updated to VISA 4

- Tried Wiring in the termination character to both  \n and  \r (ASCII  10 and 13) respectively.

- Connected to 34401A with Hyper terminal, no flow control. Sending *OPC? recieves '1' as return data.  'SYST:REM' and *RST and *CLS also works.

- Using Agilent Interactive IO: *OPC? "send and read" command only works when the EOL sequence is \n...   \r, \r\n, or \n\r cause the same timeout error in this application.

-Upgraded to LabView 8.2. Downloaded and installed 'project based' vi's.  Loaded Agilent 34401 Acquire and Graph - SW Triggered.vi. This works fine with Agilent 34410A over USB. I can see the changes that have been made in the Initialize.vi and Control Mode.vi, so I know that these sub .vi's have been updated.

- Run Acquire and Graph - SW Triggered.vi with 34401A over Serial : COM8, n,8,1. Get the VISA error 0xBFFF0015 (-1073807339) in VISA Read in Control Mode.vi as Described above.

-Can acquire data over serial with same port settings using Agilent's Excel Toolbar Addin or Word Toolbar Addin.

So the firmware, Null modem cable, port setting suggestions are all mute. I probe the VISA Resource and it has the correct setting.  I think this must be either a timing error (for which there was a suggestion, but that was vor VISA Wait on Event ASync, which doesn't seem to be in my execution heirarchy. I think it may be related to the EOL sequence, although I'm not sure why no one else is having this specific problem.  In any case I've tried both LF and CR on the TermChar node of the INSTR property nodes.

Any Ideas ? Please ?!

Jesse Law

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(8,423 Views)