Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using Digital I/O functions( in Traditional DAQ) to pulsate a transistor?

How can i use Digital I/O functions to pulsate a transistor ?

(i am using the card USB-6251 and Labview version8.2)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,509 Views)
You can't use traditional DAQ. The 6251 requires the use of DAQmx.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,506 Views)

Q1:what about the card USB-6009 does it work with Traditional DAQ?

Q2: how can i use Digital I/O function to generate square wave?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,498 Views)

No, you can't use traditional DAQ with the 6009. Why do you want to use traditional DAQ? It sounds like this is your first experience with DAQ so why not start with the current driver?

To create a square wave, you can use the counter output of the 6251 or with a digital output, write a 1, write a 0, repeat.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,485 Views)
Hi Forwards,

Thanks for your post!  It sounds like you are new to programming DAQ in LabVIEW.  As Dennis said, this will be MUCH easier using our NI-DAQmx driver.  When you install NI-DAQmx, it will install many LabVIEW examples which will assist you in your applications.  Launch LabVIEW and go to Help»Find Examples.  Browse by task to Hardware Input and Output»DAQmx»Digital Generation.  I recommend taking a look at the Write Dig Chan-Ext Clk.vi example. 

You may notice that the example program requires you to provide an external clock source.  This is called Correlated Digital I/O.  This is necessary for hardware-timed digital I/O operations with devices that do not have a dedicated digital clock.  You can use the clock from an Analog Input, Analog Output, or Counter operation.  For more information about this, please refer to the following KnowledgeBase article.

What Options Do I Have for Hardware-Timed Digital I/O on my M Series DAQ Device?

You also have the option of performing software-timed digital I/O operations.  Please be aware of the limitations, as your Operating System will have inherent latencies.  We can't really guarantee rates better than 1 kHz.  You might be interested in this article.

Software-Timed Digital I/O Benchmarks with DAQmx

Please post back if you have issues implementing the Correlated digital I/O task on your USB-6251. 
Rod T.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,476 Views)
Just wanted to correct (actually expand) a statement I made in my previous post.

You can use the clock from an Analog Input, Analog Output, or Counter operation, from the same device.  Additionally, your device has a Freq Out pin which can be used to clock the digital I/O task.  The clock source does not even have to come from the same device.  You can set your external clock source to a PFI line.  This means that you can bring in a clock signal from any device on that PFI line.  Let me know if you have any additional questions about this.
Rod T.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,467 Views)