Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

urgent: Using encoders with scc 68 terminal block

Hello,

In short my question is how do you connect encoders to a SCC 68 DAQ terminal board?

Here are the details:
I am setting up a controls lab at my university where I have to setup a standard motor+encoder system using the following resources:

NI SCC 68 DAQ with 6024 PCI board
NI SCC terminal block <http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/202603>
Quanser Consulting MultiQ-2 terminal board connected with a motor and two standard encoders (A, B, power, gnd)
MATLAB+Wincon+simulink setup to read the values.

At the moment I have the SCC terminal block giving out proper analog control outputs to my MultiQ terminal board (using some jumpers between tha analog output of the SCC terminal block and the MultiQ terminal board which is connected to the motor) - this is working. Can I make a similar arrangement to get the encoder inputs into the SCC board and then into my wincon+simulink setup?

I do not see anything labelled as Dig I/O on the DAQ board, I do see PFI (anyone want to explain what this is?), and some other things labelled as P. I was hoping I could connect the A and B of the encoders to the digital inputs of the terminal block and somehow make it work.

This is an applied mathematics lab so we do not have an engineering team or a big budget for this, your help will be truly appreciated.

Thanks!

Message Edited by bobray on 03-20-2008 03:34 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,384 Views)

See the Using Quadrature Encoders with the DAQ-STC chapter of this document for the proper wiring of the encoder with a Series E DAQ board.

PFI = Programmable Function Interface. See chapter 6 in the user manual of your card for more details.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,369 Views)

Thanks for the pointer! This was very helpful.

Would you know how I can see the encoder output through our MATLAB+wincon+simulink setup? The simulink library has a model under the NI toolkit called the encoder input, but I am not seeing any results through that. Does the simulink model rely on this counter that gets updated with my encoder's feedback? Or will I need to play with something else to emulate this counter?

thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,360 Views)

Hello bobray,

There is an abundance of people on the NI forums with great knowledge about National Instruments hardware and software, but that is not true when it comes to MATLAB® and Simulink®.  I know that National Instruments has several options when it comes to combining our hardware with this software.

I am not sure what option you are using when you say you are using the NI toolkit, but do you mean the Simulation Interface Toolkit?  If you can provide more details about exactly which software you are using, then I will be better able to give you advice.

Neal M.
Applications Engineering       National Instruments        www.ni.com/support
Message 4 of 4
(3,342 Views)