From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myRIO DIO level shifting from 3V to 5V

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am using a myRIO to output fast switching TTL signals to control a laser system. I used to do this using a DAQ but due to the conditions of the experiment we needed something faster so the myRIO with its fpga board was the choice we made. However, since the myRIO only supports up to 3.3V on its DIO ports I was thinking of using a level shifting circuit but the simple ones to build wouldnt be good enough as for the experiment the propagation delay cannot be higher than 100us. Basically, I want to know if anyone has used a levelshifting circuit or IC that can do this and if so what do you recommend?

Thank you,

Jaafar Harari

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,315 Views)

JaafarHarari wrote: I was thinking of using a level shifting circuit but the simple ones to build wouldnt be good enough as for the experiment the propagation delay cannot be higher than 100us.

100us is an eternity!  I have used the SN74LVCC4245A with little problems over the years (the problem I have had we concluded were due to a power supply not regulating properly).  The specification claims a rise and fall time in the 10ns range.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(3,293 Views)

Looks great but do you perhaps know if there is a DIP format of the same chip? as I am only allowed into a teaching lab and surface mount soldering isn't really on the menu 😛

Cheers,

Jaafar Harari

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,290 Views)
Solution
Accepted by JaafarHarari

Not that specific chip.  But you can use my link and go up a level to the "Logic - Translators, Level Shifters" and do whatever filtering you want to find a part that will work for you.  There is a mounting type filter, set that to Through Hole if you need a DIP.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(3,282 Views)

For many modern ICs there are no DIP versions. But there are adaptor mounts where you can solder a SMT device and have a DIP pin arrangement. But you have to do the soldering yourself. It depends on the pin spacing of the IC whether you can solder it with a very fine solder tip (down to 1mm spacing approx) or if you have to use special solder techniques (also with a soldering iron) for smaller spacing. 

Message 5 of 5
(3,197 Views)