Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple access usb-6501

Hi, thanks for a nice forum for a nice product.
I tried searching the forum for this specific question about multiple access to the USB-6501 device, but I found only posts regarding other devices.
My question: does the USB-6501 device support multiple access from different processes/threads using separate tasks on separate channels/lines? For example my program will use port0/line0-7 on the card and my assosciate's will use port1/line0-7; is this kind of usage of the device supported - and if so, do you have to use resource locks while accessing the card (semaphores etc)? Are there any tutorials or help documents describing the use of resource locks between processes on this device, or other information pertaining to this situation?

Regards,
Erik
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,949 Views)

Hi Erik,

You can use different ports from different processes or threads. If you try to use a port in use you will get an error saying that the digital lines are reserved. So there is no way that two tasks control the same resource simultaneously. If you want to lock a resource before starting the task, you can use the daqmx control task.vi.

DAQmx resource availability check deals with similar questions.

Hope this helps,

Pelle S
Account Manager
National Instruments Sweden
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,894 Views)