Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linux usb-6501 quick read digital states

Hi,

I have a USB-6501

I simply want to read the states of the digital IO with linux (debian). I want to use this board in a embedded linux server so i'm searching a simple/standard way to read that signals.

NI give a .iso of 100Megs of tools... I only need to read some digital signals not to go on the moon...

There are ways or not to do this with this board?...

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,657 Views)

Hello Sgala,

From your post it looks like you are trying to simply read the value of a digital line. So you don't need at the moment to install a complete application development environment like LabVIEW. In this case you should provide for the Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX). This make you able to verify your data acquisition device's operation using test panels. Please refer to this Developer Zone to get much more details about NI-DAQmx programming fundamentals. There is no separate installation of the MAX. It always comes bundled with our drivers. So you can get the latest version of MAX (4.5) by dowloading the DAQmx Driver.

I hope it could help.

Best regards

Matteo
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,638 Views)

ok. i downloaded the DACMX base (100megs). Inside there are many applications like labview. I will ignore it...

Inside there are some C example application.

Now for run these application i need to make visible the card to my kernel.

Can you confirm that the driver to build and install to "see" the card is named "nikali" ?

There are no ways to "see" the card in linux with "standard" modules (like gpib) and without NI  proprietary drivers?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,635 Views)

Hello Sgala,

What DAQmx Base driver did you download? You can verify if the selected driver is compatible with your board (NI USB-6501) by opening the readme file available on the driver download page. Then follow the install instructions for NI-DAQmx Base given in the "install.txt" file located on the same page. You absolutely need to install drivers if you want communicate with your board. A driver typically communicates with the device through the computer bus or communications subsytem to which the hardware is connected.

Regards
Matteo
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,618 Views)