cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interacting with ic chip through usb-6009

Solved!
Go to solution

I know that the title is somewhat ambiguous. My problem is the following:

I'm trying to use an optical mouse as a position measurement tool. I'm using an ADNS-2083 chip (haven't had much luck in finding the datasheet, someone else got the chip before checking around for available info.) and I'm following an instruction manual on how to do this very project, only that it utilizes Arduino and LEGO NXT instead of Labview. I have at my disposal a USB-6009 device, which is hooked up to the +5V, GND, SDIO, and SCK pins on the controller chip. For the record, I'm using Labview 2009.

Now, the mouse is receiving power and as such the LED's are turned on and what-not. However, I don't know how to go about passing information to the IC chip via SCK and SDIO. My programming experience is limited and I never did this type of electronics. 

What I would like to know is how to pass the 7-bit addresses to SCK and SDIO to control the two, and what are the best means of accomplishing this via-Labview.

Thanks a ton in advance.

PS: I attached the pdf of the manual mentioned above.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,550 Views)
Solution
Accepted by cosmicomics

cosmicomics,

From a quick look at the tutorial you are referring to it seems the optical sensor IC in the mouse uses  I2C.  You will not be able to use the 6009 to do I2C communication, instead you would need to use the USB-8451 which is designed for exactly that purpose.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Sam K

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,532 Views)

Thank you very much for your answer. After researching the I2C protocol, it definitely seems to me that this is the case (having only the SCK and SDIO lines, 16 7-bit addresses, etc.).I might be trying to interact with it via-Arduino first, and see how it goes. I'm doing this project for a lab I work for (as an undergrad), and I have to get this system  to work first, and then we'll be making a permanent setup in which we might use the USB-8451. I want to thank you again for your answer, it was extremely helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,521 Views)

cosmicomics,

No problem, I'm glad I could help.  I2C with the Arduino is pretty straight forward so I think you will be successful using it to test the sensor and start playing around with it.  The NI-8451 provides more user control over the I2C bus than the arduino and will allow you to easily use any I2C device in LabVIEW (BlinkM's are one of my favorite I2C devices and are fun to play with in LabVIEW using the NI-8451).

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Sam K

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,501 Views)