From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use PCI 6503 in labview

I'm
using PCI 6503 digital I/O with Labview version 8.2. Someone in our lab installed this I/O earlier. As I've downloaded traditional DAQ recently, I can see that this device is
now
under Traditional NI-DAQ of 'Devices and Interfaces' of Measurement &
Automation software and also recognized as 'Device-1' when I clik on the
'Properties' tab. What else I've to set in the
properties. As you know, this device has three port namely '0', '1' and '2'
and has 8 lines on each of the port. Do I need to do anything in terms of
setting the port.

2nd Question:

Well, now I'm using this PCI card as a relay. In my labview program,
initially, I'm setting all the lines in a port to level low ('0') by using
'write to a digital port.vi' from the easyI/O of digital I/O palette as device number '1', port '0' (suppose), pattern
'0' (binary equivalent to '00000000') and connecting the initialize pin to
the
loop iteration (as I'm using this vi in a loop) and then activating a line
by
calling this VI again and by only changing the pattern to '1' which will
produce '00000001' binary equivalent and activate the first line i.e line
'0'.
Could you please tell me, whether i'm doing right?

I'll appreciate if you could answer the above two questions for me.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,178 Views)

Hi bidmc,

Answering your first question, I will strongly suggest changing drivers, instead of using the traditional DAQ drivers use the DAQmx drivers, and it sound like you are in a staring stage position so DAQmx will make your programming a lot easier. This document: Data Acquisition (DAQ) Installation/Configuration will show you that the PCI-6503 is compatible with DAQmx. 

To setup your device in either direction you choose to follow, DAQ Getting Started Guide will guide you through the installation of the software and the hardware.

Regarding your second question since you want to use the card to drive a relay, I have to suggestions for you in DAQmx, you can use the: “Write Dig Chan.vi” example, located in Help->find examples->search tab and type the name of the example. For a Traditional set of examples you can open any of these libraries as a guide: “C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW x.x\examples\daq\digital”, the one I will suggest to look at is: “C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\examples\daq\digital\653x.llb” Write to 1 Digital Line.

I hope it helps

Jaime Hoffiz
National Instruments
Product Expert
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,153 Views)