From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to configure PCI-6503 with MAX ?

A PCI-6503 was installed in a test PC - not by me.

I am trying to configure the ports to be all outputs using MAX, but I am not sure I am doing it right.
because I am getting an error  -16013.
NI-DAQ 7.4.7 is installed.

I am currently download NI-DAQmx.  Will this solve my problem?

I plan on using LabVIEW 8.

Thanks?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,857 Views)

nyc,

The installation of DAQmx 8 may solve your problem, and version 8 is certainly the recommended driver for that device.  However, it probably should have worked with 7.4 as well.  Before you install DAQmx 8, shut down and remove the 6503.  Next, install DAQmx, and shut down the PC.  Now, install the 6503 and re-boot.  Windows should now detect the card.  Select the option to allow windows to find and install the driver for the device.  Once this completes, try to test the device again in MAX.  If it doesn't pass the self test, let me know what the error is.  Hopefully the upgrade does the trick though. 

Regards,

LA

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,845 Views)
Installing the NI-DAQmx did work.
I was able to individually select which port to set as inputs and which to set as outputs.

Since, NI-DAQmx is compatible alongside NI-DAQ Legacy 7.4, I was able to continue to try using the TestPanel
for the older driver and I still couldn't figure out how to set the ports individually.
I am getting an error -16013 which means I am not configuring the ports properly. I don't see anything to do
a self-check. either.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,843 Views)
Hi nyc,

I recommend using NI-DAQmx instead of Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy). If you need to use the old drivers for some reason, take a look at the Traditional NI-DAQ examples located at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\examples\daq\digital\8255.llb\

The example named "Write to 2 Dig Ports(8255).vi" appears to be what you want.
--
Michael P
National Instruments
Message 4 of 8
(4,828 Views)

Michael,

I used a different NI DIO card at my previous job.

The GUI aka TestPanels for commanding the card through MAX seemed to be different and was more intuitive.

The current GUI won't let me set the ports on the PCI-6503 to be outputs. Is there any documentation on how to do this?   It shouldn't be that hard. I know that I can do this through the DAQmx GUI but I should also be able to do this through DAQ traditional as well.

Message Edited by nyc on 03-09-2006 01:49 PM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,828 Views)
Hi nyc,

It sounds like you're saying that the test panels in Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) are better than the test panels in NI-DAQmx. If so, that is intended, since DAQmx was created as a new and improved alternative to Traditional NI-DAQ.

However, you should have no trouble using the Traditional NI-DAQ test panel for your PCI-6503 to write to the ports. I have attached a screenshot where I have done just that on the PCI-6503.

Message Edited by Michael P on 03-10-2006 10:47 AM

--
Michael P
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,812 Views)
Michael,

The picture is very helpful.

I am not sure what the checkboxes do? 
I see that you are also getting the 10613 error as I am. Is that normal?
In your example, it looks like you have set bit7 to be an output and all the other bits to be inputs?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,806 Views)
nyc,

The checkboxes set the digital output to high or low. Click the "Write Output" box after checking the boxes to write the values to the lines.

Error 10613 occurs when you specify a line transfer direction that is not supported by the specified channel, or if you have performed an operation on a digital port or line configured for the opposite direction. Since my input and output port are both 0 in the test panel, it attempts to read from a port configured for output, which is why you get that error.

In the example I attached, all of port 0 is configured as outputs. Line 7 is high, the rest of the lines are low.
--
Michael P
National Instruments
Message 8 of 8
(4,799 Views)