From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generating digital output waveforms with an M-Series DAQ

I am having trouble generating a digital output waveform with an M-Series USB-6251 DAQ.  I am using the daq assistant .vi and I've read that this particular daq requires an external triggering signal, but that can use clock signals from other parts of the board, for example, the A0 ports.  I have tried to select this as the external trigger, but the .vi just times out.  Do i need to specifically generate an analog output in another part of my .vi in order for this to work?  If not, how can I get this to work?  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,264 Views)

What is happening ezett?

I am fairly sure we just got done chatting, but for anyone else out there who runs across this post, I figured I'd throw up some information.  

1. The DAQ assistant works great for simple tasks and testing,  but I would not recommend it for more advanced timing or long running applications.  Instead lower level VIs give more customization and control over what's happening with our data acquisition.

2. There are a number of example VIs to do different parts of your application and also a large number on the NI Community Section. (AO:Cont Gen Voltage WFM-Int Clk  DO: Cont Write Dig Port-Ext Clock (clock source being /Dev1/ao/SampleClock in your case))

3. The best practice to sync AO with correlated DO will be to use the AO sample clock to clock our DO. (This goes true for most any clocked DO.  The exception is on the new X-Series cards that have their own timing engine for DO.)

4. Once the two tasks are clocked together, we'll share a trigger between the two to make sure they start at the same time (Specifically the AO start trigger in this case).

Here's an example of what the setup code would look like:

Sync AO-DO.png

If this helps you out, feel free to pop a kudos up there.

ColeR
Field Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,247 Views)