Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do pci 6713 or 6032e support digital timing?

Hi,

I planned to output a TTL pulse with a specific timing.

I used a vi modified from an example(shown in the picture below and the vi is attached). I planned to read a column of integers of 0(0V) or 1(5V) from a spreadsheet and specify an update rate so the timing of this pulse can be controlled. I have done similar things with analog output and it has been working fine for me. Now I would like to do analog and digital output at the same time. I just need one digital ttl pulse and would like to know the relative timing between the ttl pulse and the analog output.

write dig 1 column.JPG

I got this error. 

Possible reason(s):

Measurements: Requested value is not a supported value for this property.

Property: SampTimingType
You Have Requested: Sample Clock
You Can Select: On Demand

Task Name: _unnamedTask<15>

the output card is pci-6713 and i also have a pci-6032e card. both card would show this error. I was wondering if i could do digital output with timing with either of the two cards and if they only support software timing, if there is any way to get around. thanks,

http://mypage.iu.edu/~zzhuang
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,035 Views)

Hi Zexi-

Unfortunately, both the 6711 and the 6032e only support software digital I/O timing.  How fast are you wanting to go through this digital data?  If you are wanting to update really slow, say 10 times a second, you will probably be okay with software timing.  Software timing above 500Hz-100kHz definitely gets really non-deterministic, but at lower frequencies, software timing might be okay.  This all depends on how fast you want to go, your system setup, etc. 

I hope this helps.  If you want timed digital output, you should look into the X Series DAQ cards.  They have a dedicated clock for the digital lines.

Best of luck with your application!

Gary P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,011 Views)
thanks for replying. i am using my pci 6032e to record the timing of the digital output and doing it manually.
http://mypage.iu.edu/~zzhuang
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,983 Views)