From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

digital line input output settings

if I create a digital output task, one channel for each line, dev2/port0/line3 (for example), then use Digital 1D bool Nchan 1Sample, what is the state of the other 7 lines of that port

digoutexample.JPG

PCI-6723 using LabVIEW 8.6

Reason I ask is that I recently damaged the board due to at least one and possibly more mistakes.

I wrote to one digital output as above, my UUT read this input and turned on its own digital outputs (9V), I then made a call to read digital inputs:

diginexample.JPG

Then that wonderful smell announced to the office there was an issue.

interestingly despite there being a hole in the top of the large NEC chip on the board, and loss of counter and digital channel functions, it still passed resets and self-tests in max.

Can I be sure that if I use one line for output the other 7 will stay as input (high impedance) or did setting one line to output mean the other lines where also set to output (low impedance) so that when the UUT turned on its outputs, bad things happened?

I realize the digital inputs are designed for 5V, but thought I was okay at 9 due to the 11V channel to earth working voltage limit.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,569 Views)

Hello,

For your first question, if you only want to configure one of your channels, you should use the Digital 1D Bool 1Chan 1Samp selection on your DAQmx Write.  Your device supports bidirectional DIO, per page 4-1 of the Analog Output Series User Manual, so each line can be set for a specific direction.  As long as you only specify dev2/port0/line3 for your DO Channel input then you will leave the other lines to be their default state, which is high impedance, reference page 4-5 Power On States.  If you want the other lines to be inputs, you can create a Digital Input task and specify the lines, and then do no operation on them.

The working voltage specification is not for the Digital I/O on the board, but for the board itself and its power supply from the computer.  The maximum voltage for the digital lines is 5V.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
Senior Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,551 Views)