Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

device to input strain gage signals to the computer via usb

As part of my project i want to measure strain at 8 different locations on a specimen. Can anyone suggest me a device that can take 8 strain gages data to the computer via usb. And for this purpose can i use SCC-SG24 modules because those modules are there in our lab, i know SG24 modules are used for full bridge circuits, but for my project my strain gages are connected in quarter bridge, is it possible to measure data in quarter bridge mode using SG24 modules

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,587 Views)

Hello There,
My suggestion is to use the 9235/6 8-Channel Quarter-Bridge Strain Gage Module with a cDAQ Chassis (USB or Ethernet).  Please note that the USB sleeve is not compatible with these modules (see NI C Series Module Compatibility Chart).  Therefore, a cDAQ Chassis would be appropriote for your implementation.  Please see the references below.

NI 9235, NI 9236

NI C Series Module Compatibility Chart

NI Compact DAQ Chassis
The SCC-SG24 is used for full bridge configurations.  So I would not recommend using this device for your system.  Rather, the SCC-SG01/2 is recommended.

Regards,
Roman Sandoval | National Instruments | RF Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,575 Views)

Hi Roman,

we have NI DAQ pad 6015 in our lab. So which one will you recommend NI 9236 or SG24 modules. cost is also is important criteria for us because we might use this equipment once in a year. what is your opinion on SCXI 1520 does it meet all our requirements.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,561 Views)

I think your best options is to go with a USB cDAQ 9174 chassis, and a NI 9235 or NI 9236 module to put in it.

Jensen
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,541 Views)

in the specifactions of cDAQ9174 it is mentioned "Run up to seven I/O tasks simultaneously". what does it mean. After seeing that statement i got a doubht because i want to measure 8 strain gaguges using NI 9236. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,519 Views)

In the specifactions of cDAQ9174 it is mentioned that it can "Run up to seven I/O tasks simultaneously". what does it mean. After seeing that statement i got a doubht because i want to measure 8 strain gaguges using NI 9236. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,487 Views)

Tasks are different then channels.  A task can run many channels as long as they are on the same sampling rate.  The cDAQ 9174 has 3 Analog Input timers, 1 Anolog Output Timer, 1 Digital In, 1 Digital Out and 1 counter.  But as long as put all of those strain gauges in the same task with the same sampling rate, you should be fine.  I hope this helps.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,481 Views)

How to do shunt calibration in NI 9236 module

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,470 Views)

Katakam,

In the example finder there is a VI under the folder Hardware Input and Output>>Analog Measurements>>Strain>>Cont Acq Strain Samples (with Calibration).vi that will help you to understand and use shunt calibration with the NI-9236. This should meet your needs for doing a shunt calibration with your device. 

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,456 Views)