Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing to two output channels simultaneously crashes nidaqmx (python)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone

I'm a new user of NI boards and am a bit lost with a dual stream_writers problem that I can't seem to find a solution to.

I'm trying to use a NI 6229 card with 2 x BNC-2090A (or even a single one) to send periodic simultaneous TTL pulses. One TTL pulse controls a speaker (plays sound waves) the other opens a port for a water release valve.

Independently, these two tasks are easy to do using the

nidaqmx.stream_writers.AnalogSingleChannelWriter() 

function and these individual commands:

water_Writer.write_one_sample(5)
     audio_Writer.write_many_sample(tone)

But when I run them in series (i.e. without closing the first one), I get this error when the second task tries to write:

DaqWriteError: The specified resource is reserved. The operation could not be completed as specified. Task Name: _unnamedTask<4>

I've added a 2nd BNC-2090A breakout board (see ao2 above) and I get the same error. I do have a 2nd 6229 card - but! my computer doesn't have any more slots to insert it into.

Should I not be using the stream-writers function to write TTL output? 

Any advice is much appreciate! As I said, I'm quite new at NI + python configuration and a bit lost.

Thanks so much,

Catalin

Here's the entirety of my code, including a function that converts frequency values to oscillations playable via TTL pulse:

########################################################
#################### HYBRID RUN ########################
########################################################
def make_tone(f, amp, duration):
   fs = 200000 # 200kHz (Sample Rate)
   T = 1/f
   Ts = 1/fs

x = np.arange(int(fs*duration))
   y = [ amp*np.sin(2*np.pi*f * (i/fs)) for i in x]
   y_new = np.tile(y,1)

return y_new

#
import nidaqmx

# Initialize speaker task;
audio_Task = nidaqmx.Task()

#
audio_Task.ao_channels.add_ao_voltage_chan('Dev3/ao0')
audio_Task.timing.cfg_samp_clk_timing(rate = 200000,
           sample_mode=nidaqmx.constants.AcquisitionType.CONTINUOUS)

#
audio_Writer = nidaqmx.stream_writers.AnalogSingleChannelWriter(audio_Task.out_stream,
auto_start=True)

# Initialize water task
water_Task = nidaqmx.Task()
water_Task.ao_channels.add_ao_voltage_chan('Dev3/ao2')
water_Task.timing.cfg_samp_clk_timing(rate = 200000,
             sample_mode=nidaqmx.constants.AcquisitionType.CONTINUOUS)
#
water_Writer = nidaqmx.stream_writers.AnalogSingleChannelWriter(water_Task.out_stream,
                                                 auto_start=True)

####################################################
# realtime streaming with callback
amp = 0.003 # tone amplitude in ?
duration = 0.1 # tone duration in seconds;
ctr=0
freq = 1000
tone = make_tone(freq, amp, duration)

#
duration = 50000 # time in 100000Hz time base (?)
for k in range(25):

for p in range(duration):
         water_Writer.write_one_sample(5)
         audio_Writer.write_many_sample(tone)

#    
water_Task.stop()
water_Task.close()
audio_Task.stop()
audio_Task.close()

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,430 Views)

You said:

One TTL pulse controls a speaker (plays sound waves)

No.  TTL pulses != sound waves.  However the code is more correct than the description -- you've correctly used an analog output task to generate your sound waveform.

You get errors b/c the 2 tasks are contending for the same hardware resource -- access to the D/A converter.  You can resolve this by using a Digital output task to generate a TTL signal to control the water release valve.  Note: the DAQ device won't source enough current to operate a valve directly, you need the low-current TTL logic signal to drive something capable of sourcing more current.  This might be your valve controller, it could be a simple low-current-demand relay.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,415 Views)
Solution
Accepted by catubc1

Oh, great, thanks so much for the quick reply. So

1.  I can't really use 2 streamwriters to output to the same analog channel.

2. Re: "Digital output task to generate a TTL signal to control the water release valve." I can handle the pull up to 5V (probably through an arduino or teensy), butI don't understand how to do create the "digital" output.  Should I initialize the analog port (ao2 in my case) as a digital output channel?  How do I do that exactly?  There are no "digital" channels on the BNC 2090A as far as I can see...

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,381 Views)

The BNC 2090A has spring terminals for digital i/o.  See pages 2-6 & 2-7 in the manual.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,371 Views)