Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between CB-68LPR and SCB-68? What does "shielding" mean?

I was confused about the difference between CB-68LPR and SCB-68.

Does "shielding" mean electrical shielding on circuits, where each lane is electrically insulated from each other?

Or does this just mean that the connector block is inside a metalic case?

I have several CB-68LPR and wanted to reuse them for my DAQ cards. My application do not care so much about noises.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,290 Views)

To save you the inconvenience of putting the search terms into NI's search engine, the CB-68LPR is just a 68 way connector, a PCB and the screw terminals. The SCB-68 has the same, but in addition has:

1. A small amount of breadboard space for each channel
  2. An on-board temperature sensor for cold-junction compensation.
  3. A steel box enclosing the whole thing.
  4. A steel cable clamp.

Items 3&4 mean that, when NI's instructions are followed, the connections are fully shielded.

The important point is where you state that "My application do not care so much about noises." Many people say that, right up to the point when they are getting unexpected errors that, after many hours of fault finding, are traced to unexpected noise in the field wiring to the DAQ. If, like you, I had CB-68LPR units to hand, I would be strongly inclined to use them. I would also consider whether alternative shielding arrangements could be made. For instance placing several CB-68LPR units in a single metal box.

Message 2 of 2
(3,268 Views)