Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PFI channels of PXI-6123 via BNC-2090A

Hi,

I'm trying to feed an encoder Z and A pulses as triggering and sampling timing signals. My PXI-6123 on PXI chassis is connected with BNC-2090A via SH68-68-EPM cable. Which BNC ports on BNC-2090A should I use to feed those signals? I looked into PXI-6123, BNC-2090A, and SH68-68-EPM manuals, but they don't tell you which BNC ports on BNC-2090A will be designated for which channels of PXI-6123 when they are connected by SH68-68-EPM cable. And, of course, BNC ports on BNC-2090A are not labeled according to PXI-6123 channels.

Thanks,

J

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,880 Views)

You want to connect the encoder following the article Connecting an Encoder to a Counter. This will show how to connect your 6123 with a counter. The counter inputs route to the PFI lines, PFI 3&4 for Counter 1, PFI 8&9 for Counter 0. The PFI lines are not connected to the BNC connecters, rather they connect to the connectors with the digital lines on the side. The counter output does not seem to route to any of the pins on the BNC 2090A.

- Regards,

Beutlich
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,869 Views)

Eric,

Thanks for the answer. Your instruction and the article are really helpful.

So, this is how I wired signals:

Encode z -> user 1 -> PFI9 (User1 and PFI9 are jump wired)

Encode A ->user 1 -> PFI8 (User1 and PFI8 are jump wired)

And then I selected PFI9 for Reference trigger and PFI8 for Sampling Clock in my vi code. I checked the signals from MAX using Test Panel's Edge Counting option.

But, I get Error - 2000019. Is there anything wrong in my setup?

Thanks,

J

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,852 Views)

This error can occur if the buffer is not set big enough, which only really occurs if the timing engine is external (like an external clock or a counter). The article What Causes Error -200019 When Increasing the Sampling Rate of an Analog Input Task with an External... discusses which parameter can set the size of the on board buffer and some instruction on setting it appropriately. 

- Regards,

Beutlich
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,838 Views)