From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using DMX with the compactRIO

Has anyone used the compactRIO to communicate accross DMX? Do you you have any VI's that can be shared? From what I can tell, the DMX512 protocol is built on top of RS485, so I should be able to use the 9871.

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,513 Views)

Hi Joe,

Please refer to http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&requireLogin=False&thread.id=111067.

Regards, Kate

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,493 Views)

Hmmm... I did see that post. The RS232/DMX512 converter solution could work for us. Our application is power consumption critical (5W will make a big difference), so I am checking to see if anyone has had a similar application where they built a VI for the 9871 to operate on the DMX protocol.

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,488 Views)
You wont need the 232 converter with a 9871 since it already uses the 485 protocol.  I tried to find some examples of this before for other customers, but have yet to find anything.  We still need someone to venture forth and experiment, share with us what you learn!  Basically you just need to know the protocol, and develop FPGA code to decode those signals.
Rob K
Measurements Mechanical Engineer (C-Series, USB X-Series)
National Instruments
CompactRIO Developers Guide
CompactRIO Out of the Box Video
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,472 Views)