Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 6509 DIO as input to trigger TCP messaging

Solved!
Go to solution
I'm a traditional GPIB instrument and TCP person, and I've been asked a question.

Is it possible to use the 6509 and a benchtop waveform generator to time a LabVIEW loop? We have a loop that runs uncontrolled at a high rate (TCP messages). We would like to input a pulse or square wave signal into the 6509 and trigger TCP messages from 1 to 3 kHz (less than the loop runs uncontrolled). This is for TCP performance benchmarking purposes only; we use a timed loop at rates up to 1 kHz with good results, we need higher than 1 kHz rates.

Is this possible?

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,198 Views)
Discovered answer to my own question.

DAQmx Events

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5384

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,192 Views)
I've got the timed loop working with the 6509 after using DAQmx Create Timing Source (Digital Change Detection).vi. I've been able to send data using the timed loop at the rates I need.

I'm now trying to create a runtime executable (LV 8.0) so that I can run this on a stand-alone computer. I created a project, then the executable and it runs, but the Timed Loop never seems to start. Why would the executable not run, yet the development environment works fine?

I tried creating a simpler version of the program, I wired an indicator to the loop index, and created a boolean-typed shift register that I perform an "not" operation on for each iteration; this is connected to an LED indicator. WIth a 10 Hz (or any other pulse rate) the development environment runs fine, but when I compile and try to run the code with the runtime engine (again on the development machine) it appears as if the loop is hung.

Smiley Mad

Message Edited by Phillip Brooks on 02-01-2007 01:20 PM

Message Edited by Phillip Brooks on 02-01-2007 01:21 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,165 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PhillipBrooks
Hi Phillip,

This was reported to R&D (461F39IG CAR ID) and was fixed in LabVIEW 8.20. Here is a link to the current evaluation software download for LabVIEW. Thanks!

Regards,
Andrew W
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(4,137 Views)

Thanks for the info. I already have 8.20 available (SSP) but we've been sticking with 8.0 on our current project.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,128 Views)