Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Counter in PCI-DIO-96

Hello. Im new to this forum, but I have a question.
I have a PCI-DIO-96 board, and I want to count the number of pulses on a input.
Maby Im way out here, but from what I understand of the datasheet there are 2 counters on this board. But when I look for example code, non of them include PCI-DIO-96. Also if I choose create task in the Automation Explorer and select any counter function, the reply is "not supported".

My question is if there are any way to access the counter funtion from labview? Since the refrence manual talks about counter
I assume there is som way to access it.

I have read something about driver toolkit, is it possible to write a own driver for this? How do I use it if so?

Hope you folks have som answers for a newbi like me 😉

/Tobias

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,304 Views)
What datasheet did you get this information from? Neither this data sheet or user manual mention counter/timers.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,296 Views)

Hi All-

Some old versions of the PCI-DIO-96 featured an 8253 counter/timer chip, but it was never supported by NI-DAQ and was removed with the latest revision of the board.  So, the currently released version of the board does not feature the 8253, but if you have a pre-RevH board you can control the chip using register level programming as described in the DIO-96 user manual.

Hopefully this helps-

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,286 Views)
Dennis, the datasheet was found here http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/7DEF0FD892730E198625665E00635874

But I saw that it was dated in march -98 so its out of date.
Tom thanx for the info, I have a new board so that means no counter. I think NI should revice the manual. In the manual above there are even a datasheet for the 82c53 counter included. This should be removed in the new version...

Thanx for the help.

Tobias
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,280 Views)

Hi Tobias-

I previously submitted a request for that change to be made, so look for it in the next version.  Thanks for keeping us on our toes.Smiley Happy

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,272 Views)