From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB6501 Digital output to trigger 5vdc relay

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I am using USB6501 to trigger a 5vdc relay 

when i pull high, i not see the relay triggered. 

after troubleshoot i found that my USB6501 at port P0.0 only give 3.3 v instead of 5v.

are they any setting that i need to do to increase the voltage from 3.3v to 5v?

thanks in advancee7c04056-b806-4716-96ce-14c2b619df4f.jfif

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,525 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author solehinrobian

This device has two digital output modes, "Active Drive" and "Open Collector", in order to get 5V you should be using Open Collector mode, but it's driving capabilities are limited, i suggest you to use a circuit between the USB device and the relay.

Antoniooh_0-1639059788144.png

Page 2 of the spec for this device.

Antoniooh_1-1639059982171.png

Saludos.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,493 Views)
Solution

With the Open Collector, you have to supply your own 5V source.

Looking at the specification, it looks like the active output works in the 3.3V range.  This will still work for TTL devices, but not likely for an actual relay.  You are also likely limited by the current required to turn on your relay.  You should at a circuit to boost that current and voltage level up.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,487 Views)
Solution

Though this snippet is from the 6509 user manual, the concept is still the same for 6501 too.

As crossrulz described, you need an external transistor or buffer that can switch the voltage and current required by your relay coil.

Typically, 5V relays require a coil current of 20mA which the 6501 cannot supply.

santo_13_0-1639065348122.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,485 Views)

Thank you everyone for the respond.

i've add ttl in between usb device and relay. and it works

actually i get a relay module that already sort the ttl and relay. only need to add external power supply and now can trigger the relay

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,460 Views)