Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB data acq of industrial (24VDC, 115 VAC) signals

Am looking for way to capture digital IO. The low-cost USB unit only handles TTL - what is a good bundle to get it to monitor 24 VDC or 115 VAC. Not interested in lugging around 20 boxes, but if that's what I gotta do, so be it.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,235 Views)
I tend to like to use solid state opto-isolated modules (usually need a backplane to hold them and an external supply to power them) from Greyhill, Opto22, etc. Come in AC and DC variants, for inputs and outputs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,229 Views)
AK2DM:

Have you found any nice enclosures that can house the opto modules? What is attractive about the NI unit is its small form factor.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,226 Views)
dwillis:

All my systems are PCI card based and reside in enclosures or chassis panels. I understand your need for small form factor and enclosures since you are USB based. BUD and Altech make small plastic and metal boxes that may be suited for you needs.

I had another thought, if you are just concerned with inputs, could you used reed relays? They are typically small (16 pin DIP IC form factor). The coil would be powered by your signal, the contact would connect to your USB digital input.
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,224 Views)
Was hoping not to have to cobble something together, but identify a commercial product. Thanks for the advice.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,223 Views)
Hello dwillis,

Even though our Multifunction USB DAQ devices may not be suitable for your application, perhaps the following system will work for you.

The SCXI 1600 is basically a USB DAQ board that installs into an SCXI chassis. This means that you communicate with the SCXI chassis through USB and your digitizer is in the chassis as well.

The SCXI 1162HV is a 32-Channel Optically Isolated 240 VAC/VDC Digital Input Module. Take a look at the Data Sheet to see if this module will meet your specifications. The 1600 should work with other SCXI modules as well, so feel free to look at other module options.

All that is left is the chassis. The SCXI 1000 is a 4 slot chassis.

I hope this helps!
Eric
DE For Life!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,213 Views)