Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-9472 supports buffered DO?

I have a customer who needs to generate a 24V trigger.  The trigger at worst will be comprised of 4 bursts of 5ms, seperated by a 300ms delay.  It looks like I can do it with a USB-6251 TTL line and buffered generation, but I was curious if the USB-9472 would do it?  The specs don't say either way.

Thanks,
Matthew
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,211 Views)
Hello Matthew,

It appears there may be some confusion about our M Series DAQ.  The USB-6251 can only do standard TTL logic, which is 0-5V.  In order to do the 24V digital logic, you will need a high voltage Digital Output device.  This narrows down the choices quite a bit.  By looking at our USB Digital I/O Product Selection Guide, it appears that to attain the output voltages you require, the 9472 is the way to go.

If you want to do a finite pulse train.  If this is the case, then you will need 2 counters to accomplish this.  I believe that if you use the cDAQ 9172 Chassis,  there are two counters available from slots 5 or 6. If the timing for the trigger is not essential, then you could just do this programatically instead of using the counters. One thing to note about this setup, you will need a pulldown resistor for the "low" state.  Here is a Knowledgebase about that.

I hope this helps.
Neal M.
Applications Engineering       National Instruments        www.ni.com/support
Message 2 of 3
(3,192 Views)
Hi Matthew,

You can probably achieve your desired output using buffered generation or counters, both of which are possible (at TTL levels) on a USB-6251.  Both are also possible using an NI 9472 in a CompactDAQ chassis.  However, the USB-9472 single-slot device only supports On Demand output, not buffered generation or counters.

Regards,
Kyle
Message 3 of 3
(3,184 Views)