From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 6008 to control two solenoid valve.

Hi,

I want to control two 24VDC 3/2 way solenoid valve using the USB 6008 DAQcard. Now from previous posts and NI examples I have understood that I need a solid state relay than can switch with a 5mA signal from USB 6008 and then using a 24V DC power supply can energize the solenoid valve. Now what I am unable to understand due to my lack of knowledge of electronic devices as to what choices to make for these equipments i.e. solid state relay (amperage and other ratings), power supply(amperage rating choice). I apologize if there is any lack of information. I was also told that the current rating for the solenoid would also be a deciding parameter ( I am unsure of that as well). Any help is more than welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,085 Views)

Hello Kunal7505

You are correct, although this is more a electronic/electrical kind of question, not so much an NI software question.

Theres 2 different ways you can go. One is use the solid state relay which you can built using optocouplers like the 4n25 for example. 

Or using a Open collector transistor system. 

In any case, you will use the signal of the 6008 just to activate the "switch" and allow the power to reach the solenoid. 

With that being said. What you need to figure out is that the power supply can actually power up the solenoid. 

Check the recommended requirements of your solenoid and find a power supply that can actually deliver those requirements. (voltage, current and power). 

And choose transistors or relays and all your components that can actually work with those values. (for example, choose transistors that can handle more than 24 VDC)

All I mentioned here are just examples that I know of, the system you choose and how you determine it should be specific to your system.

Diego Hidalgo

National instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,058 Views)

I have similar system.

I want to control solenoid valve with PCI 6221. Valve specification is 2-way solenoid valve operate at 12V DC. Power requirement: 18 watts, 1.5Amps. I have a DC supply source that can power the valve. After reading the forum, I have also ordered a DC 12V 2CH 2 Channel Isolated Optocoupler High/Low Level Trigger Relay Module. 

Will this be sufficient? I there a documentation that will guide me to assemble these hardware correctly? Is one power source sufficient or do I need to another power source connected to the PCI control board?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,813 Views)

Hi agraw085,

As for setting up the hardware or finding documentation, this is really something that you will have to figure out based on the specifications from the solenoid's manual and information from the relay. I would search for information on controlling a solenoid with a relay for examples of what the hardware setup will look like. 

As for your question about powering the PCI 6221, no, you will not need a separate power supply for the PCI card. All that you would be doing is writing a digital signal from the PCI card to the relay; the external power supply would be powering the solenoid via the relay.

Finally, you will probably need a different relay then the one you mentioned here. The 6221 has DIO ports that will output +5V. I cannot be certain based on the information you provided, but it sounds as though that relay requres +12V for switching, which will not be possible with the 6221. You'll need to find a relay that has a low voltage +5V. 

Regards,

Regards,

Michael Whitten
Senior RF Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,795 Views)