Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with DIO !

Hello everyone !

I've just bought a NI-9401 for some stuff I'm working on. I'm using Python with this device and I'm having trouble. I spent the last 3 days searching everywhere online and I couldn't seem to find any answers (I'm fairly new to both Python and NI btw).

So here is the thing : I want to test the device by transfering some floats from a digital output to a digital input.

Here is my code so far :

import nidaqmx as ni
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
from nidaqmx.constants import (LineGrouping)

## Emission ##
fe = 44100
f = 440
T = 0.05
t = np.linspace(0, 0.05, fe*0.05)
sig_E = np.sin(f*2*np.pi*t)

plt.figure()
plt.subplot(211)
plt.plot(t, sig_E)
plt.title("Signal Emis")
plt.tight_layout()

with ni.Task() as task:
    task.do_channels.add_do_chan("cDAQ1Mod1/port0/line0", line_grouping=LineGrouping.CHAN_FOR_ALL_LINES)
    task.write(sig_E)

## Reception ##

with ni.Task() as task:
    task.di_channels.add_di_chan("cDAQ1Mod1/port0/line4", line_grouping=LineGrouping.CHAN_FOR_ALL_LINES)
    sig_R = task.read(number_of_samples_per_channel=len(t))
    plt.subplot(212)
    plt.plot(t,sig_R)
    plt.title("Signal Recu")
    plt.tight_layout()
    plt.show()

So it's 5 seconds of a sine at 440 Hz and I want to send it from the DO to the DI (linked with a cable). But the error message I get is that the "write" function can only send boolean samples and obviously I want to send floats.

So how can I send my sine through the digital output (and read it from the digital input)? What are the appropriate functions ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,787 Views)

Digital = 2 values (on and off).  If you are using a single channel, then you need an analog input and output.  Or, you can convert your value into a 8 bit number and write to the entire port and read it back.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,760 Views)

Wait, are you saying that this card (NI-9401) can only send and read boolean samples ???

Message 3 of 6
(3,757 Views)

@dommi wrote:

Wait, are you saying that this card (NI-9401) can only send and read boolean samples ???

That is the definition of "Digital".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 6
(3,749 Views)

Thank you for your answers ! I still might be able to use this card. So now that I know that it can only send en recieve booleans, I tried to send à chirp, made of booleans values, from a DO to a DI. But I can't make it work. Here is my code so far : I create à square signal, with linear frequency modulation, from 220Hz to 2200 Hz, for about 0.02 second, with a sample rate of 40kHz. Then I convert the values of my signals into booleans,  whih should make it good for the DIO channels.

import nidaqmx as ni
import numpy as np
from scipy import signal

## Generation ##
fe = 40000                                                                   # sample rate
T  = 0.02                                                                     # duration
t = np.linspace(0, T, int(fe*T))                                              # time vector
f1 = 220                                                                      # freq min
f2 = 10*f1                                                                    # freq max
f  = np.linspace(f1,f2,len(t))                                                # freq vector
sig_E = signal.square(f*2*np.pi*t)                                            # chirp

for i in range(0,len(sig_E)):
    if sig_E[i]>0:
        sig_E[i]=True
    else:
        sig_E[i]=False
sig_E = [bool(sig_E[i]) for i in range(len(sig_E))]                             # float2bool

plt.figure()
plt.subplot(211)
plt.plot(t, sig_E)
plt.title("Signal Emis")
plt.tight_layout()

## Emission ##
with ni.Task() as task:
    cho = task.do_channels.add_do_chan("cDAQ1Mod1/port0/line0", line_grouping=LineGrouping.CHAN_FOR_ALL_LINES)
    task.timing.cfg_samp_clk_timing(fe)
    print(task.timing.samp_clk_rate)
    task.write(sig_E, auto_start=True)

## Reception ##
with ni.Task() as task:
    chi = task.di_channels.add_di_chan("cDAQ1Mod1/port0/line4", line_grouping=LineGrouping.CHAN_FOR_ALL_LINES)
    sig_R = task.read(number_of_samples_per_channel = len(sig_E))
    sig_R = [int(sig_R[i]) for i in range(len(sig_R))]                          # bool2int

plt.subplot(212)
plt.plot(t,sig_R)
plt.title("Signal Recu")
plt.tight_layout()

plt.show()

But It doesn't work. My plot shows the signal sent through the DO, but when it comes to the recieved signal by the DI, it's not what I've sent.

I read somewhere on the NI website that to be able to use both DI and DO, I need to use 2 ports. But When I try to create the DI channel by writting "port1/line4" (since I have "port0/line1" for the DO), I have an error message saying that this channel doesn't exist on this hardware. Weird because in the user manual, it's specified that I have to use 2 ports.

Thanks in advance for your answer !

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,634 Views)

Thank you for your answers ! I still might be able to use this card. So now that I know that it can only send en recieve booleans, I tried to send à chirp, made of booleans values, from a DO to a DI. But I can't make it work. Here is my code so far : I create à square signal, with linear frequency modulation, from 220Hz to 2200 Hz, for about 0.02 second, with a sample rate of 40kHz. Then I convert the values of my signals into booleans,  whih should make it good for the DIO channels.

import nidaqmx as ni
import numpy as np
from scipy import signal

## Generation ##
fe = 40000                                                                   # sample rate
T  = 0.02                                                                     # duration
t = np.linspace(0, T, int(fe*T))                                              # time vector
f1 = 220                                                                      # freq min
f2 = 10*f1                                                                    # freq max
f  = np.linspace(f1,f2,len(t))                                                # freq vector
sig_E = signal.square(f*2*np.pi*t)                                            # chirp

for i in range(0,len(sig_E)):
    if sig_E[i]>0:
        sig_E[i]=True
    else:
        sig_E[i]=False
sig_E = [bool(sig_E[i]) for i in range(len(sig_E))]                             # float2bool

plt.figure()
plt.subplot(211)
plt.plot(t, sig_E)
plt.title("Signal Emis")
plt.tight_layout()

## Emission ##
with ni.Task() as task:
    cho = task.do_channels.add_do_chan("cDAQ1Mod1/port0/line0", line_grouping=LineGrouping.CHAN_FOR_ALL_LINES)
    print(task.timing.samp_clk_rate)
    task.write(sig_E, auto_start=True)

## Reception ##
with ni.Task() as task:
    chi = task.di_channels.add_di_chan("cDAQ1Mod1/port0/line4", line_grouping=LineGrouping.CHAN_FOR_ALL_LINES)
    sig_R = task.read(number_of_samples_per_channel = len(sig_E))
    sig_R = [int(sig_R[i]) for i in range(len(sig_R))]                          # bool2int

plt.subplot(212)
plt.plot(t,sig_R)
plt.title("Signal Recu")
plt.tight_layout()

plt.show()

But It doesn't work. My plot shows the signal sent through the DO, but when it comes to the recieved signal by the DI, it's not what I've sent.

I read somewhere on the NI website that to be able to use both DI and DO, I need to use 2 ports. But When I try to create the DI channel by writting "port1/line4" (since I have "port0/line1" for the DO), I have an error message saying that this channel doesn't exist on this hardware. Weird because in the user manual, it's specified that I have to use 2 ports.

Thanks in advance for your answer !

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,632 Views)