Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger Camera with shaft encoder

Hi Guys,

I have an NI 9401 module and a cdaq 9174 chassis. I successfully connected my shaft encoder to the NI 9401 module and I can read the rpm and shaft position using a small labview program I wrote.

However, I need help outputing a 5 Volt TTL signal from the NI 9401 to trigger my camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,194 Views)

Hi Eluan,

The 9401 is configurable by nibble, so if you are using any of, say, lines 0-3 for input, you'll need to constrain your output to lines 4-7.  With that said, I would recommend taking a look at our DAQmx examples as there are several that perform basic output.  Here is one we have online:

DAQmx: Write Digital Pulse- Programmable High and Low Time - https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-21943

Please note that this output will be software timed.  If you are looking for a hardware timed solution (e.g. "immediately" trigger a TTL output when a certain RPM is reached) then you'll need to switch to an FPGA-based solution.  You can also find additional examples in LabVIEW's Example Finder in Hardware Input/Output»DAQmx»Digital Output.

Regards,

Regards,
Chris Elliott
x36772
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,191 Views)

Hi,

I am using Labview 8.6 instead of the latest version. Can you copy and paste the vi so that I can see it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,125 Views)

Hi Eluan,

I have saved the community example for LabVIEW 8.6. Let us know if you are able to open it now.

------------------------------
Bill E. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,113 Views)