Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TTL output from PXI-5122??

I am making a software pulse generator in LabVIEW. I have 2 problems:

1.) I can't seem to get the single shot pulse to work.

2.) I can't determine whether the PXI-5122 can output TTL signals with this program using DAQ Assistant.

I can post up my VI later today. I am working on an NI PXI-1010 system with a PXI-5122 and a PXI-8186 installed. Thanks for all the help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,861 Views)
Hi TurboLS,

As I understand you want to generate a pulse using the NI-5122. Unfortunately it is not possible to create and generate a pulse using the 5122. It is possible however to route different TTL signals out of the PFI, RTSI, and ClkOut lines. The signals that can be routed out include the reference clock, sample clock, end of record, end of acquisition, and start trigger to name a few. For more information about routing these signals refer to the High-Speed Digitizers Help document linked below and look in the section NI High-Speed Digitizers Help >> Devices >> Features Supported by Device.

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/55E412E2AA45C47786256FE700555B84

If you would like to create and generate a custom TTL pulse I would suggest taking a look at the 660x Counter/Timer boards or the 654x/655x High-Speed Digital I/O modules.

Regards,

Erick D.
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,835 Views)
Hello,

Is it possible to create and output a TTL pulse from a DIO or PFI pin using the DAQPad-6070E?  If so how would I do this.  I'm a beginner in Labview so I might need an example vi to show me how to wire the outputs and inputs.

Thanks.

--
Jordan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,666 Views)
Hello Jordan,

The counters on your DAQPad-6070E Multifunction DAQ device are capable of generating TTL pulse trains out of the PFI lines.  Your device is only supported under the Traditional NI-DAQ driver so this will be a little harder to program than if it used the NI-DAQmx driver, but there are examples built into the driver software that provide a good starting point.  You can access the Traditional NI-DAQ shipping example in the LabVIEW Example Finder under Help > Find Examples.  I would recommend starting with the example titled Traditional DAQ > Counters > DAQ-STC > Generate Pulse Train (DAQ-STC).vi.  You can find the default PFI pin used for counter output in the pinout diagrams for your device found in the E-Series Help Manual.

I hope this helps,

Travis G.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
Message 4 of 6
(3,647 Views)
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I actually looked at this example earlier but I couldn't figure out where the output was coming from.  I also couldn't tell whether there was any way to specify where the output should be coming from. 

I was also wondering, the diagram in the example, is the DAQpad the box labeled counter or is it the one labeled your device.  I'm slightly confused.

Thanks.

--
Jordan
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,642 Views)
Jordan,

"Your device" is the device to which you are connecting the DAQPad. The "counter" is actually the counter on your DAQPad. You shouldn't worry about using an external timebase - you don't need to wire anything to the source if you specify "internal timebase."

If you are using counter 0, the output should appear on pin 2, or pin 40 for counter 1. You can change this pin through the use of the "Route Signal" VI on the Calibration and Confidguration Palette.

Hope this helps,
Ryan Verret
Product Marketing Engineer
Signal Generators
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,614 Views)