From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steeper control with 9402

I am trying to use a 9402 to control a stepper motor. I am using the digital pulse generation of the counter to get the steps out of the motor. Is this the basic set-up I need (see my attached VI)?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,257 Views)

can u please upload ur VI for LV2009.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,246 Views)

Here you go.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,241 Views)

Your VI seems to right, but you want continouos steps or finite steps for your stepper motor to move?

Based on this you have to select the "SAMPLE MODE" in the IMPLICIT timing VI. The high time & low time to be written is dependent on ur motor specs & ur application.

I think you can proceed with this.

Kudos are welcomed.:-)

Message 4 of 11
(4,236 Views)

@kekin wrote:

Your VI seems to right, but you want continouos steps or finite steps for your stepper motor to move?

I want finite steps. I will be using the stepper to move a lead screw device 0.5 inches.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,234 Views)

I have been working on this some more and a have a few more questions. The motor I am using is a two phase, 8 lead series connected motor. How do I get my pulse signal to the corresponding leads to get motion? Should I use a boolean matrix of some sort?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,220 Views)

Has anyone succesfully used the 9402 with a stepper motor? I have everything connected correctly, checked all voltages and currents (which are in spec), checked the signal being received by the stepper controller, and the motor operates erratically. No matter what I write in my VI, the motor exhibits the same behavior. I am thinking it may be the module. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,170 Views)

Hi MikeFJ,

Can you elaborate on erratic behavior and its consistency despite the changes you make to your code?  What settings have you tried?  The VI you posted previously had little information about the actual settings being used.  Is it possible to post the datasheet for the motor?  Ultimately what are you trying to control your stepper motor to do?  An overview of the application would be helpful for a complete understanding.

Regards,

h_baker
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,134 Views)

@h_baker wrote:

Hi MikeFJ,

Can you elaborate on erratic behavior and its consistency despite the changes you make to your code?  What settings have you tried?  The VI you posted previously had little information about the actual settings being used.  Is it possible to post the datasheet for the motor?  Ultimately what are you trying to control your stepper motor to do?  An overview of the application would be helpful for a complete understanding.

The motor turns, but it does not turn smoothly. The rotary motion is jerky (meaning it does not increment its steps evenly). I don't have a data sheet for the motor, just the book that came with the controller. The motor is a superior electric M062-LE09 using a SS2000MD4 drive. I am trying to use the stepper to turn a lead screw used on a linear motion device. A colleague told me he has used this motor with a 9401 module, but never the 9402. So I am wondering if the 9402 is not suited for use with a stepper. Attached is my most recent VI.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,096 Views)

One of the differences between the two modules is the maximum output range. The NI 9401 (max 5.25V), 9402 (max 3.4V). Do you know if the motor requires higher than 3.4V to operate correctly? Have you been able to perform microstepping?

Best regards,

Ali M

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,053 Views)