Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set static output (LVCMOS) on PCI 6562 PFI 3

Solved!
Go to solution
Require to use the PFI 3 LVCMOS output on the 6562 to supply a Logic 1/0 to controls a data switch within our test equipment.  How can this be implemented in CVI?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,215 Views)

Hi Titchell,

The PFI line itself cannot be used for a static generation however we can route various triggers/events to this line if there is one that would be suitable for this application.  To view the various available events please launch the help file from Start>>All Programs>>National Instruments>>NI-HSDIO>>Documentation>>NI Digital Waveform Generator/Analyzer Help.  Then in the index go to fundamentals>>digital terminology>>Timing and Triggering and then either triggers or events.  Also see available routes in Devices>>NI 656x>>Hardware Architecture>>Signal Routing.

If one of these is suitable for when you want to change the switch then this should be relatively straight forward.  If not perhaps one of the data lines can be used in someway to interface to your data switch.

Regards,

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,195 Views)

Hey titchell,

I just wanted to throw out another idea. Is there a certain point in time, or in your waveform, that you want to supply your logic high or logic low? You might be able to set up markers in your waveform, or possibly use events, like data active event, to send data out on your PFI line. Check out the Help file that James pointed out for more details on markers and events, and how to send them out on PFI lines. Just another thought. Hope this helps. Let us know how things are going. Thanks, and have a great day.

Regards,

DJ L.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,164 Views)
Solution
Accepted by titchell

Hey titchell,

One more trick that you can use is found in this discussion forum post called Static write with a PFI using HSDIO products. This is not a well known method, but it should work for you. You will want to use the following function:

int32 DAQmxConnectTerms (const char sourceTerminal[], const char destinationTerminal[], int32 signalModifiers);

int32 DAQmxDisconnectTerms (const char sourceTerminal[], const char destinationTerminal[]);

Another thing you can do is just use High, or Low, for the sourceTerminal[]

Make sure you use the DAQmxDisconnectTerms() function when you are done, so that you can use the PFI line for other signals if you need to.

Regards,

DJ L.

Message 4 of 6
(4,132 Views)

Switching works as described but we need to set the PFI3 terminal output levels to be 3.3V (logic1) & 0V (logic0) on the 6562 card.

What is the best method of implementing this??

Thanx........;-)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,116 Views)

Hey titchell,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on your latest question. I would recommend that you check out the NI Digital Waveform Generator/Analyzer Help document, and search for Configuring PFI Terminal Configuration. Here is a link to the online version of the help so you can go directly to the section on how to configure the PFI line to be Single Ended. For example you could choose one of those properties/attributes to set the PFI line, like the NIHSDIO_ATTR_READY_FOR_START_EVENT_TERMINAL_CONFIGURATION. Use the attribute to set the PFI 3 line to be Single Ended, not actually use the Ready for Start Event, and when you connect High or Low, you should be seeing a single ended PFI line. Let me know if this does not work for you. Thanks, and have a great day.

Regards,

DJ L.

Message 6 of 6
(4,050 Views)