Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Comms through USB

Hi,
   I am a real beginner using comms so please bear with me, but, here is the problem...

I have a USB-6501 (32 digital in/outs) I am to configure these as outs. I need to know how to squirt the equivilent of Serial 4800 baud comms out of one of the outputs at 5V. I don't really know where to begin, could anyone point me in the right direction please???

Many thanks, Alec
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,315 Views)

I really don't think you can use the 6501 to emulate an RS-232 connection. The digital I/O is software timed and that makes it subject to the inaccurate timing of the OS. You don't have much better resolution than 1 msec and there will be a lot of jitter. Why do you need to use the 6501? A USB->RS232 convert is cheap.

p.s. A true RS-232 connection doesn't use TTL logic levels like the 6501.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,314 Views)
I only wanna send what equated to 12 Hex bytes though, would that still be affected?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,310 Views)
Yes, it would be affected. I don't think you could come close to an accurate baud rate and you definitely can't get the right voltage levels. The device at the other end would not be able receive a signal without the correct baud rate or signal levels.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,299 Views)