Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same card was registered twice in Automation Explorer

We built a LabVIEW application, using digital inputs from a PCI-6510 card.
By the way, next to that card we have a RS-232 card from NI with 4 serial outputs in our PC.
The DIO card was installed using the automation explorer and everything worked fine.

BUT...

Sometimes after rebooting the computer, the LabVIEW application doesn't work anymore.
We looked at the automation explorer and the card seems to be registered twice in the automation explorer,
once with 'dev1' and once as 'dev2'. Using 'dev2' and the Automation Explorer shows us that the card is still OK.
But, our application using 'dev1' failed. After removing the 'dev2' instance from the Automation Explorer, everything works again...

But some reboots later, the problem araised again. The same card was registered again (as 'dev2'), while we didn't do anything (did not startup the automation explorer, neither is it stored in the startup page of windows).

How can we avoid that the same card was registered twice in the Automation Explorer??

Please help

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,294 Views)

Mr. Mertens,

I cannot find a direct answer to your question. I have done some research but I cannot find anything relating to you question, also I never heard of such an issue. I will do some more investigation on this matter and will get back to as soon as I have found out more.

Regards,

RikP - National Instruments Applications Engineering

Rik Prins, CLA, CLED
Software Development Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,281 Views)
Hi Frank,

Usually, when MAX adds a new device is because the OS detected a new device, so could you clarify some aspects of the problem you are facing?:
1) What OS you are using?
2) Do you get any message indicating that some hardware was found?
3) What is the type of icon you see next to the 6510 cards ("green", "yellow" or "white with a red X").
4) When you mention that "dev2" is OK, do you mean it passes the self test? What happens to "dev1"

MAX should only be looking at your hardware configuration and unless device manager (or equivalent) has detected something different.
Now, if there is something wrong with the system database, you can make your program more robust and detect the devices before. This way, no matter that the device name changes, you will be able to use the correct device and you program will always work :).
Hope this helps,
Gerardo O.
RF SW Engineering R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,250 Views)