Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SICK LMS 291 connection

Im new to LABVIEW and i cant get a SICK LMS 291 to communicate with the LABview SICK LMS 2XX Series.lvproj project file that i downloaded from the NI website. I keep getting errors like "required input "VISA resource name" is not wired." I figure this is a simple fix and i just dont have the experience to get it working.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,723 Views)

First, you should have posted to the instrument control board. This question has nothing to do with digital i/o.

Each of the functions has an input called VISA Resource Name. The developer (with good reason) has marked them as required. In your top level, create a front panel control (I/O palette) or block diagram constant (right click on input and select Create Constant). You only need one of this these since you will wire the duplicate resource name output to the input of the nect function you call. The resource name defines the port your instrument is connected to. Click on the little arrow on the right side of the control/constant. You will get a list of ports (i.e. Com1). Select the one you need.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,716 Views)

as i said, i am new at this. i looked at the block diagram and and went to the I/O block named 'VISA Resource Name'. I right clicked on it then create then constant and that gave me a new I/O block. when i clicked on the arrow on the right side and the only option was 'Refresh' and no list of ports.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,704 Views)
My guess is that you don't have NI-VISA installed. See this. You can verify this by opening MAX (Measurement & Automation Explorer) and expanding the Software listing and seeing if NIVISA is listed. If you don't have MAX on your desktop, then you certainly did not install NI-VISA.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,696 Views)