From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Time Application on myRio

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,  I have just started using Labview FPGA for a student project and have come across a small problem that I haven't found addressed here already: when I attempt to deploy a VI as a real time application, the source file is either unavailable or the DIO lines disconnect. I am using Labview 2016 and a myRio-1900. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software question, sorry if this is the wrong place. 

I have written a simple code that produce a series of timed pulses used for triggering a MOSFET. Running from the project menu (under the chassis dropdown) the VI runs as desired (outputting pulses to the connector c DIO ports of the myRio). However, I would like to be able deploy the VI as a startup Real Time application, so that I can trigger the MOSFET using the myRio in situ, without access to a computer. 

I have looked at the tutorials on the process but they don't appear to come across the issue I've had. If I create a real time application and attempt to build it, the VI is not shown in the source files section (pictured). realTimeSource.PNGIf I instead create the VI again from the higher tier in the dropdown (the NI myRio line) then the source file becomes available but the DIO ports are unavailable (greyed out) and the wires are broken. This makes sense as it's clearly not on the FPGA target, but where then is the VI meant to be selected from? How do I create a real time application with access to the DIO ports? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Max Will 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,586 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mFred11

Since you have programmed the FPGA, you need to create an interface on your FPGA that your RT can use to control the DIO.  I would use a DMA FIFO to send the outputs to the FPGA.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,566 Views)

Brilliant, I'll look into that. Thanks crossrulz

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,554 Views)

I've also just seen on another forum that the DIO channels on the myRio might be software-timed - so not very deterministic - is that true? Ideally, I'd like to get the pulses down to as near 25 ns apart (a single tick on the myRio's 40 MHz clock) as possible. Would this be an issue using DIO ports? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,553 Views)

Lookup the specification to make sure, but if controlled by the FPGA, then the DIO can be controlled at the 40MHz rate.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,487 Views)