From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read 12 bit signal from amplifier using NI USB-6501

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there, 

I am new to LabView. I have been watching tutorials, but they didn't help me. I want to read a 12 bit Digital signal from . I have USB-6501 and I connected it to ground and connected [port0 line 0] to 5 volts. I used DAQ assistant>acquire signal>digital input> 1 line input>port 0 line 0. I set the acquisition mode to 1 sample. Then I created an indicator for the DAQ assistant. Now whenever I hit "Run", the indicator light goes on, so my DAQ system is fine. Now I am not sure how to receive the 12 bit messages from the CN-0350 amp/ADC. can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,548 Views)

Is the 12bit message a form of command?

Configure to measure 12 lines on USB-6501.

You can get 12 signals, convert it to numeric using Array to Num function.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions

GCentral
Message 2 of 6
(2,493 Views)

I have an analog sensor that sends a signal to a CN-0350 amplifier/ADC circuit. The output of the circuit is a 12 bit signal. The circuit outputs the signal using SPI pins. I want the signal to go through the NI USB-6501 digital I/O device, and display the signal as decimal values in LabView. I read somewhere that the the NI USB-6501 model uses software timing which makes it harder. Is there anyway to do it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,484 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,482 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ebrahim1

I'm surprised that the user interface shown on figure-5 is developed using LabVIEW.

CN0350 Software User Guide

As you know, 6501 is software timed product, it is difficult to read time critical signal.

You cannot do SPI reading with the device. Hardware timed product or FPGA are required.

Even if you could develop the software with USB-6501, there must be a jitter caused by Windows status,

it doesn't work well.

Here is an example to achieve the feature with hw timed DAQ.

Simple SPI Read with NI-DAQmx DIO

Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions

GCentral
Message 5 of 6
(2,475 Views)

Thanks a lot! You are amazing ^__^

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,470 Views)