Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pxie - 6570 | Instrument Handle | Multiple Instruments | Multiple Sites

Hi, 

Did anyone use PXI-6570 in the below instances. If yes, I would like to know how 6570 behaves in the below specified use case.

UseCase1: 

• Assume that I am using two PXI- 6570's. One for each site. Inside the DPI project, I have a pin_map as per the below mapping.

Site  | PinName   | Channel | Instrument

0      | Swd_Clk    | 0            | DPI_1

0      | Swd_Dat    | 1            | DPI_1

1      | Swd_Clk    | 0            | DPI_2

1      | Swd_Dat    | 1            | DPI_2

My execution flow in the code is as follows:

1. Both the DPIs are initialized (I will have 2 instrument handles after initialization) and the DPI project is loaded.
  2. If I call "niDigital Burst Pattern.vi", wire the instrument handle corresponding to DPI_1 and give the site numbers as 0, 1. Will it run  the pattern in both the sites or in site 0 alone? 

The same question is applicable for the other VIs (like load timings, levels, etc ) as well.

To summarize, Can I burst pattern or change the settings of site 1 using the instrument handle of DPI_1? ( Since the instrument resource allocation is already available in the pinmap that is linked to the loaded project will it work?)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,120 Views)

Depending on the NI Digital version you use.

Sessions are per instrument, this means you will have to initialize them separately and perform the operations identically for each. Even if you pass in more sites than the instrument has, it just ignores the sites it does not have.

santo_13_0-1629899812173.png

If you're using Digital 19 or higher (may be from 18 too I'm not sure), there is a feature called instrument group, you can do this by passing the instrument names as a list in the initialize, now all instruments are part of the same session.

santo_13_1-1629899968711.png

With this feature, your code simplifies as below.

santo_13_2-1629900020027.png

Edit: regarding your last question, yes, settings are retained per instrument, if you have got an array of sessions, operations on respective sessions affect only those instruments, when you use the instrument group feature, depending on the settings it will be applied to the listed site or all instruments.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 4
(1,105 Views)

Hi Santhosh, 

Thanks for the details. 

Due to some framework limitations, I can't go with the first option. So I wanted to make things work with a single reference.

It seems, Second option works. I will try it with the latest DPI version.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,101 Views)

Once you validate, please mark appropriate post as solution to close thread and help other members in the future

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,088 Views)