From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pin-by-pin communication through serial port

I have a device that connects to the computer with a serial connection. The digital interface circuits are a parallel set of eight 4053 switches which accept CMOS compatible inputs for the eight tuning bits (D0-D7). LabVIEW does not recognize the instrument as a DAQmx device, but I can talk to it via VISA connection (serial). However, the instrument reads pin by pin while the output through VISA write is a serial byte on one pin. I want to send data to the device through the serial connection, but am unable to send desired values. I can send either 00.4 or 51.6 with various combinations of VISA vis, but cannot write desired values. I also have access to an old vi which uses DAQ software, but this does not work with LabVIEW 2009. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,874 Views)

You may have a DB9 connector but the instrument is not at all a serial device and using VISA is just a waste of time. It is also a waste trying to get it recognized as a DAQmx device since that is only for actual DAQ devices from NI. You would need a digital I/O card with 8 outputs and connect it to the instrument.

It also does not matter if you have old software. You need a piece of hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,870 Views)