Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-6289 SPI Protocol, Simultaneous Generation & Acquisition

Solved!
Go to solution

I don't have any experience with the dedicated devices crossrulz mentioned, nor any other occasions to delve into SPI communication.  I can't say much specifically.

One thing to be aware of with *any* USB device is that it'll be self-contained and you'll be running physical wires around if you need precise sync with other equipment.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(491 Views)

@sbetancur wrote:

The whole point of what I'm trying to make is a generic/modular SPI block that can be implemented with simple I/O for a variety of cards.

Are you referring to PXI or PXIe cards?  Or a board you are trying to test?

You can use the USB-8451 alongside a PXI setup.  They will not conflict with each other.  And, yes, you can test all kinds of boards with the USB-8451 that implement SPI or I2C.  There are even 8 DIO lines (3.3V levels) you can use.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(483 Views)

Hi Cross, I apologize, I just realized the difference between PXI and PXIe,so yes, I am talking about PXIe.

Like I was mentioning, I would like to incorporate SPI writes and reads along with other VIs and TestStand Sequences so that is why I'm trying to make a generic module that works with I/O. But I might consider the USB8451 if it has the capabilities to be dropped in as a VI or used in TestStand.

-Sebastian B.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(475 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sbetancur

Thank you Kevin and Cross, I was able to get simultaneous Gen & acquisition by specifying the clock signal properly. 

Although it wasn't easy to arrive to this solution, it might be worth in the long run. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(407 Views)